LAFAYETTE — Festivals Acadiens et Creoles begins at 5 p.m. Friday in Girard Park with a boudin cutting and a fais do-do starting with music by Geno Delafose and Christine Balfa.
The festival of music, food, and artisans’ work continues through Sunday. This year’s festival honors Cajun musician Bruce Daigrepont, who takes the stage at 6:30 p.m. Friday with Hert LeBlanc and again at 4:45 p.m. Sunday at the Scène Ma Louisiane.
There’s no admission fee to the festival, but plenty of opportunities to invest in Cajun and Creole foods and crafts from artisans.
The weekend also includes cooking demonstrations and more music, conversation and jam sessions at the Louisiana Folk Roots Atelier tent. New to the festival this year: the “LA 31 and Burgersmith Sports Tent” with widescreen action of the weekend’s college and pro football games sponsored by Burgersmith.
Also on Sunday, free health screenings will be available to music professionals and other cultural workers. Blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose screenings will be offered at the festival’s Artists’ Hospitality Tent. Those interested in the screening are asked to bring a driver’s license, W-2 form and an income tax statement. Other special events at the festival include those organized by Grand Réveil Acadien — the Great Acadian Awakening, a 10-day celebration of Louisiana’s French language and heritage.
Local events associated with the Grand Réveil Acadien begin on Thursday at the Cajundome Convention Center.
For more information about the Grand Réveil Acadien, visit: http://www.gra2011.org.
Below is the Festivals Acadiens et Creoles music schedule listed by festival stage:
Scène Ma Louisiane
e_SBlt 5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Geno Delafose with Christine Balfa
e_SBlt 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Hert LeBlanc with Bruce Daigrepont
• 7:45 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. Joel Sonnier with Michael Doucet
• 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Lafayette Rhythm Devils
• 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Joe Hall and the Cane Cutters
• 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. Pine Leaf Boys
• 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Isle Dernière
• 3:45 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. Walter Mouton and the Scott Playboys
• 5 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Bonsoir Catin
• 6:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. Feufollet
• 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Rachel Wilson and Cajun Express
• 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Cameron Dupuy and the Cajun Troubadours
• 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Mamou
• 2:15 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. Beausoleil
• 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Hert LeBlanc
• 4:45 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Bruce Daigrepont
• 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys
• 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Ellis Vanicor and the Lacassine Playboys
• Noon to 12:45 p.m. En Français
• 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Lost Bayou Ramblers
• 1:45 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. Preston Frank, Ed Poulard and Friends
• 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Unisson
• 4:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Geno Delafose and French Rockin Boogie
• 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Roddy Romero and the Hub City All Stars
• 6:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. Horace Trahan and the New Ossun Express
• 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Ryan Brunet and the Malfacteurs
• 12:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Jambalaya with D.L. Menard
• 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Chubby Carrièr and the Bayou Swamp Band
• 3:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Jesse Legé, Joel Savoy and Cajun Country Revival
• 4:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Wayne Toups & ZydeCajun
Salle de danse
• Noon to 1:30 p.m. Robert Jardell and Pure Cajun
• 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Terry and the Zydeco Bad Boyz
• 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Corey “Lil Pop” Ledet
• Noon to 1:30 p.m. The Savoy Family Band
• 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Kevin Naquin and the Ossun Playboys
• 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Balfa Toujours with special guest Ray Abshire
For more information, visit: http://www.festivalsacadiens.com