L AFAYETTE — Lafayette Parish School Board candidates will discuss their views on issues ranging from school district leadership and charter schools to the budget and strategic planning for the district’s turnaround plan during a series of forums that begin Tuesday.
The forums, organized by the Lafayette Parish Public Education Stakeholders Council, are scheduled from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the LITE center, 537 Cajundome Blvd.
The election is Nov. 4, and six of the nine current board members are seeking re-election.
The stakeholder’s council released a report called “Common Vision for Our Future” a few months ago that identified initiatives its membership wanted to see School Board candidates support. The report focuses on three key areas: School Board governance, support of the district’s turnaround plan and tackling facility needs.
Some of the questions posed to candidates involve those same topics, though it’s coincidental, said Stephen Bartley, LaPESC chairman.
The council reached out to its members and the public through social media for questions to ask the candidates and some of them mirrored the initiatives outlined in the report, he said.
Candidates received the potential topics for discussion in advance.
The question-and-answer forum will be moderated by LaPESC members Jason Huffman and Mandi Mitchell.
The Tuesday forum features the following candidates:
- District 1: Don Gagnard and Mary Morrison (Redell Comeaux Miller has not confirmed her participation)
- District 2: Tommy Angelle (incumbent), James A. Chavis and Simon Mahan
- District 3: Elroy Broussard and Shelton Cobb (incumbent)
Wednesday’s forum features the following candidates:
- District 4: Erica Williams (incumbent Tehmi Chassion has not confirmed his participation)
- District 5: Kermit Bouillion (incumbent) and Britt Latiolais
- District 6: Justin Centanni and Kathleen Schott Espinoza
Thursday’s forum features the following candidates:
- District 7: Mark Cockerham (incumbent) and Dawn Morris
- District 8: Hunter Beasley (incumbent) and Erick Knezek
- District 9: Jeremy Hidalgo and Brian West.