OPELOUSAS — St. Landry Parish Sheriff Bobby Guidroz is transferring the department’s public information officer to other duties after an early morning driving incident Saturday.
Capt. Megan Vizena will retain her rank and make what the department is calling a lateral move to head the sheriff’s Triad, Kops & Kids and School Activities programs.
Cpl. Glenn Clay Higgins is being promoted to sergeant and will become the public information officer, whose duties including working with the news media. Higgins also will write the “Did You Know” column and will be in charge of Crime Stoppers.
The transfers take effect Wednesday.
Vizena was cited for reckless operation of a vehicle after turning into the wrong driveway near her Port Barre home about 1:45 a.m. Saturday, prompting a resident to call 911. Vizena backed her vehicle into a ditch before pulling into her own driveway.
Port Barre Police Chief Deon Boudreaux said he arrived at the scene that morning and later knocked on Vizena’s door, but she didn’t answer.
Vizena said Monday that she was asleep and didn’t hear the knock.
Sheriff Guidroz said in a statement Tuesday that his investigators took a long look at the incident.
“After reviewing the Port Barre Police Department’s investigative incident report, I have concluded Capt. Megan Vizena did not violate any criminal laws, and … only exposed the sheriff, the St. Landry Parish sheriff’s department and herself in a negative light that has caused some embarrassment,” Guidroz said.
Basile man booked in 2011 molestation
MORGAN CITY — A Basile man was booked into the St. Mary Parish jail this week on counts of molestation of a juvenile that detectives believe occurred three years ago, officials said.
Jerry Tucker, 53, was booked Monday into the parish Law Enforcement Center after authorities in Basile arrested him, St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Traci Landry said.
“During the course of the investigation, the detective … learned that Tucker inappropriately touched a female victim on multiple occasions at a residence in Ricohoc,” a small community in St. Mary Parish, Landry said in a news release.
Landry said the victim was 11 at the time of the alleged offenses.
Arrests posted Oct. 7, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- JUSTIN MATTHEWS BATISTE: 30, of the 800 block of Market Street, Opelousas. He was booked on a warrant for St. Landry Parish.
- BRIAN BROUSSARD: 27, of the 300 block of East Alexander Street, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass; fugitive; and simple battery.
- ERIC CARRON: 37, of the 100 block of Patton Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ANDRES LAMILLE CHEVALIER: 47, of the 600 block of Valsin Street, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on two counts of fugitive and on warrant/bench warrant.
- GARY LYNN CULPEPPER: 42, of the 200 block of Sixth Street, Lafayette. He was booked on felony hit-and-run driving; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle.
- JOSEPH DAIGLE III: 19, of the 100 block of Country Garden Lane, Carencro. He was booked on probation violation and fugitive.
- DAWN L. GARBARINO: 44, of the 300 block of Birch Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on a warrant for Livingston Parish.
- MICHAEL JODY HARGRAVE: 51, of the 800 block of East Main Street, Broussard. He was booked on probation violation.
- JEREMY JAMAAL INGRAM: 23, of the 200 block of Ridgely Place, Huntsville, Alabama. He was booked on attempted unauthorized use of access card as theft; felony unauthorized use of access card as theft; and two counts of hold for extradition.
- DANNY PAUL KENNERSON: 24, of the 200 block of Marcel Street, Opelousas. He was booked on aggravated assault with a firearm and felony illegal carrying of weapons.
- STEVEN JOSEPH MAMOU: 35, of the 300 block of Eraste Landry Road, Lafayette. He was booked on having no safety belt.
- SAMUEL JOSEPH MILLER: 27, of the 200 block of Oak Brooke Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on forgery; misdemeanor illegal carrying of weapons; and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JAMAR J. MOUTON: 28, of the 100 block of Windmill Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor violation of protective orders and warrant/bench warrant.
- ALLEN NORRIS: 29, of the 1500 block of Chatman, Cedarville, Texas. He was booked on felony illegal possession of stolen things; two counts of hold for extradition; and possession of a firearm or carrying a concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies.
- MALCOLM J. RICHARD: 48, of the 2700 block of Mills Road, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- DANIEL SUAREZ: 26, of the 500 block of Plaza Village Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- WAYNE JOSEPH TOUCHET: 48, of the 6200 block of Gaspard Road, New Iberia. He was booked on fugitive; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- BECKY TRAHAN: 45, of the 900 block of Avenue A, Scott. She was booked on soliciting for prostitution.
- DUSTIN JOSEPH WALKER: 30, of the 100 block of North Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on a warrant for St. Martin Parish.