A motorcyclist was killed in a wreck in Lafayette Parish late Friday, and another motorcyclist was injured, Broussard police said.
Scott Bonin, 34, New Iberia, died from his injuries in the wreck, which occurred about 9 p.m. Friday at La. 182 and South Girard Road, Broussard Police Chief Brannon Decou said Saturday in a news release.
Jacob Romero, 21, Breaux Bridge, was driving a Volkswagen Beetle east on La. 182, approaching the intersection at South Girard Road. As Romero turned left, he slammed into two motorcycles that were heading west on La. 182, the release says.
Both motorcyclists were thrown from their bikes. Bonin, who was wearing a helmet, landed in a grassy area near his motorcycle. He was still talking to emergency workers when he was taken to a hospital, Decou said.
“But he later died as a result of his injuries at the hospital,” he said.
The other motorcyclist, Ryan Maturin, 33, also of New Iberia, was taken to a hospital with moderate injuries. He was wearing a helmet.
Romero was not injured and was wearing a seat belt. Police cited him for failing to yield to oncoming traffic when turning left at an intersection.
Toxicology results are pending.
Police investigate bomb threat at Acadiana Mall
Lafayette police on Saturday evacuated the Acadiana Mall for about three hours to investigate a bomb threat.
Employees at the mall received a bomb threat about 11:45 a.m., according to Cpl. Paul Mouton, a spokesman for the Police Department. Investigators found no explosives, and the mall reopened about 3 p.m., he said.
Anyone with information on the incident may call Lafayette police or Crime Stoppers at (337) 222-8477.
Arrests posted Jan. 10, 2015, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- KENWARD ANDREW ALEXANDER JR.: 31, of the 1100 block of Foreman Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; misdemeanor unauthorized use of a vehicle; and simple criminal damage to property.
- LISA P. BOUDREAUX: 49, of the 200 block of Leonie, Lafayette. She was booked on fugitive and five counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JAMES CITIZEN JR.: 41, of the 100 block of Hebert Road, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass and disturbing the peace intoxicated.
- SHON COLEMAN: 27, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on aggravated battery; false imprisonment; misdemeanor domestic abuse battery; second-degree battery; and simple arson.
- JACOB FERNANDEZ: 22, of the 1500 block of Freeyou, New Iberia. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- DERALD GENE GAUDIN JR.: 24, of the 100 block of Claymore Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on six counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ALISSA GUILLOT: 35, of the 500 block of West University Street, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
Jenna Leigh Hargrave: 29, of the 11521 block of Farmer Road, Kaplan. She was booked on simple burglary.
- DAVID SHANE HARRIS: 41, of the 5700 block of Mire Highway, Rayne. He was booked on three counts of resisting an officer; simple burglary; and simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling.
- BRITTNEY HEBERT: 24, of the 100 block of Clo Drive, Carencro. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless operation.
- SHAWN ANTHONY HERNANDEZ: 30, of the 11037 block of North Road, Erath. He was booked on commercial vehicle registration violation; license plate switched; and simple burglary.
- ROBERT GENE HESTER: 34, of the 10213 block of Thornridge Drive, Moss Point, Mississippi. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- DONALD R. MENARD: 59, of the 300 block of Credeur Road, Cankton. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- FONTAIN ANTOINQUE MOUTON: 27, of the 1500 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. She was booked on motor vehicle inspection sticker and speeding.
- LARA ELYSSE PIERCE: 23, of the 800 block of Braquet Road, Carencro. She was booked on fugitive.
Jason James Poirier: 28, of the 4784 block of Main Highway, St. Martinville. He was booked on flight from an officer and aggravated flight from an officer.
- NATHAN DALE REBARDI: 53, of the 100 block of Rich Angel Road, Carencro. He was booked on simple burglary.
- ISAIAH JAMAL ROBERT: 17, of the 1400 block of Thomassee Road, Arnaudville. He was booked on two counts of contributing to the delinquency of juveniles; felony illegal possession of stolen things; and use of certain wireless telecommunications devices for text messaging and social networking prohibited.
- LEROY LOUIS SCHEXNAYDER JR.: 42, of the 400 block of Lacassine, Scott. He was booked on felony theft.
- SHAWN TOLLIVER: 21, of the 2100 block of Edia Street, Maurice. He was booked on attempted first-degree murder.
- RODNEY JAMES TRAHAN: 49, of the 100 block of Mosser Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on probation violation.
- KASHA LAREE VICTOR: 28, of the 500 block of English Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on fugitive and warrant/bench warrant.
- JAMIE CLAIRE VIDRINE: 31, of the 3500 block of Mills Street, Carencro. She was booked on felony unauthorized use of a vehicle.