One person was killed and a second injured when gunfire broke out in a large crowd at a Rice Festival after-party in Crowley Saturday night, according to KATC TV.
Several shots were fired outside the party at Avenue B and 2nd Street, killing one and leaving the second victim with minor injuries.
Crowley Police Chief K.P. Gibson said detectives are having trouble identifying the shooter or turning up information about what might have led to the slaying.
“Our officers spoke to a lot of people who were present during this incident (but) claim to have not seen anything,” Gibson said. “We need people to get involved to resolve this crime and similar cases.”
Gibson said that his officers and other law enforcement officials had stepped up patrols around Crowley because of large crowds and numerous Rice Festival after-parties.
Arnaudville house fire claims life of pet dog
A pet dog was killed in a house fire in Arnaudville Saturday evening, KATC TV reported.
No other residents of the house at 1045 Hilda Calais Road were home at the time of the fire, which broke out just before 7 p.m. Firefighters from Breaux Bridge and Cecilia responded to the fire at the home, which belongs to a member of the Cecilia Volunteer Fire Department.
Krotz Springs man dies in single-vehicle wreck
A 58-year-old Krotz Springs man was killed in a single-vehicle crash early Sunday morning on La. 105 near Atkins Bayou in St. Landry Parish, according to State Police.
The victim, Jeffery Nall, was driving a 1999 Ford pickup truck southbound when he drove off the right side of the road and then overcorrected, sending the truck spinning into a ditch on the left side of the highway, Master Trooper Brooks David, a State Police spokesman, said in a news release.
Nall, who wasn’t wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the car and suffered serious injuries. He was taken to a hospital where he died later Sunday morning, David said.
Investigators suspect impairment played a role in the accident and toxicology samples have been sent to the State Police Crime Lab for analysis, David said.
Roof work causes fire at apartment building
Workers heating tar with torches on the roof of a Scott apartment building accidentally set part of the building on fire Sunday morning, according to the Scott Volunteer Fire Department.
When firefighters responded to the blaze at the Westgate Arms Apartment Complex in the 100 block of Cheyenne Circle, they noticed smoke rising from the roofline of a two-story, four-unit building in the complex just before 10 a.m. Sunday, Chief Chad Sonnier said in a news release. After climbing onto the roof, firefighters found that the fire was inside a second-floor wall and quickly extinguished it, Sonnier said.
No one was injured and there was only minimal damage to the complex, Sonnier said. Residents of the building were allowed to return to their apartments shortly after firefighters brought the blaze under control.
Arrests posted Oct. 18, 2015, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- LANCE COBURN BAGWELL: 30, of the 100 block of Club View Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on Schedule III narcotics.
- RANNIE KAY BARDHAN: 34, of the 200 block of Lita Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on two counts of misdemeanor theft of goods.
- KEVIN PHILLIP BLANCHARD: 45, of the 100 block of Regal Drive, Broussard. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; one-way roadways; and open alcohol container in vehicle.
- RACHEL RENELLE BROWN: 32, of the 100 block of Exploration Road, Broussard. She was booked on contraband; criminal trespass; felony Schedule I narcotics; resisting an officer; and theft under $100.
- ROSS CHAISSON: 22, of the 200 block of Tournoir Street, Lafayette. He was booked on flight from an officer; aggravated flight from an officer; misdemeanor Schedule I narcotics; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); stop signs and yield signs; and transactions involving proceeds from drug offenses.
- CHARRISE C. CHAISSON: 41, of the 800 block of Oak Street, Scott. She was booked on two counts of simple battery.
- ANDREW CHEUKA: 26, of the 600 block of Main Street, Cankton. He was booked on felony Schedule I narcotics.
- MARCELLO DAMOND: 18, of the 2300 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- DVANTE DAVIS: 19, of the 1100 block of Lastrapes Street, Opelousas. He was booked on simple burglary.
- DOMINIC ESSUMAN: 34, of the 300 block of Follet, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- JOSHUA PAUL GALLOWAY: 32, of the 300 block of Alice Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor battery of a police officer; misdemeanor theft of goods; and resisting an officer.
- KELEK VINCENT LANGLEY: 17, of the 100 block of Still Water Road, Broussard. He was booked on sale, distribution or possession of prescription drugs without prescription.
- DANA LYNN LEBLANC: 35, of the 100 block of Roger Road, Lafayette. She was booked for St. Martin Parish; 17 counts of monetary instrument abuse; and three counts of unlawful production, manufacturing, distribution, or possession of fraudulent documents for identification purposes.
- JESSICA MARIE LLOYD: 29, homeless, Lafayette. She was booked on Schedule II narcotics and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- LASSER ERNESTO MORENO FLORES: 33, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on false imprisonment and attempted forcible rape.
- CHARLES NICHOLAS PALMER: 31, of the 5100 block of Madison Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and impeding traffic.
- KENNETH JAMES ROMERO: 46, of Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- DAVID MICHAEL SULLIVAN: 29, of the 200 block of Ashwood Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace and entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden.
- WALLACE ANTHONY TRAHAN: 46, of the 100 block of La Rue Biarritz, Duson. He was booked on four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JORELL WASHINGTON: 27, of the 700 block of Evergreen Lane, Opelousas. He was booked on operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- LOVELESS DAVID WILLIS: 30, of the 600 block of East Vine Road, Opelausas. He was booked for St. Mary Parish.