10-7-17.jpg

Duson fire

A house fire caused by an electric smoker destroyed a Duson home and killed two dogs Saturday night.

Firefighters responded to the 400 block of Cactus Road shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday and found heavy fire and smoke emitting from the home, according to a release Sunday from the Scott Volunteer Fire Department.

The homeowner was able to escape the house safely but her two dogs were not, Chief Chad Sonnier said in the release. Two firefighters were transported to the hospital for injuries sustained during the fire, but both have been released and are expected to make a full recovery.

Sonnier said extreme heat and smokey conditions hampered firefighting efforts, and that the home was a total loss.

The fire was ruled accidental, Sonnier said. The homeowner told investigators she was using an electric smoker on the back porch earlier in the night when a small fire started on the porch.

She believed the fire was extinguished and resumed her normal activities for the night, but later smelled something burning and discovered that her back porch and house were on fire.

Firefighters from the Duson, Scott, Judice, Carencro, Milton and Youngsville fire departments were dispatched.

Compiled from staff reports. To contact a crime reporter at The Advocate, email policereporters@theadvocate.com or call (225) 388-0369.