Lafayette police on Saturday were continuing their investigation into the death of a 42-year-old man whose body was found in the backseat of a burning car Friday evening.
Fire crews found the body while responding to a burning car on the 100 block of Bryce Street in Lafayette around 8 p.m., Lafayette Police Department spokesman Cpl. Paul Mouton said.
Investigators have yet to identify the man and are awaiting the results of an autopsy.
New Iberia woman accused in shooting
A New Iberia woman was booked Friday in the shooting last week of a 48-year-old man.
Lavonda Lacroix, 25, is accused of shooting the man in the stomach on the 500 block of Walton Street on Monday just before midnight, according to the Iberia Sheriff’s Office. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment of his injuries.
Lacroix, 510 Harriet St., was already in custody at the Iberia Parish jail on counts of possessing stolen property, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Authorities expect to make more arrests in the shooting, Iberia Sheriff Louis Ackal said in a release.
Carbon monoxide scare empties nursing home
Elderly residents and employees of a Vermilion Parish nursing home returned to the facility Saturday morning following a carbon monoxide scare Friday night.
Residents and workers of Pelican Pointe in Maurice were evacuated late Friday, KATC-TV reported.
Maurice Fire Chief Matthew Trahan said the carbon monoxide leak at Pelican Pointe originated in the laundry system.
Employees of the nursing home were able to evacuate all 117 residents before the leak affected anyone’s health.
Most of the residents sought refuge at the nearby Amana Christian Fellowship Center. A few others were taken to a neighboring nursing home as a precautionary measure.
Arrests posted Nov. 15, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- DONOVAN ALEXANDER: 24, of the 1100 block of Zinzin Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- VINCENT ALEXANDER: 39, of the 200 block of West End, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- BERTHA MARIE ALEXANDER: 46, of the 1000 block of Hilda Street, Breaux Bridge. She was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- STARR A. ASHBY: 37, of the 3200 block of Leger Road, Crowley. She was booked on felony theft of goods and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- RAYMOND J. BERNARD: 26, of the 100 block of Fab Street, Carencro. He was booked on possession of marijuana and resisting an officer.
- ALEXIS M. BROUSSARD: 18, of the 4200 block of Avery Island Road, New Iberia. She was booked on simple burglary.
- RONALD JAMES BROUSSARD: 21, of the 100 block of Conrad Street, Lafayette. He was booked on flight from an officer; aggravated flight from an officer; resisting an officer; and simple burglary.
- CHAZZ MICHAEL CANTU: 34, of the 1600 block of Main Highway, Arnauldville. He was booked on felony operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- HAILEE MARIE CASTILLE: 23, of the 200 block of East Bayou, Lafayette. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant and fugitive.
- KIRTLAND J. COBB: 36, of the 900 block of Delhomme Avenue, Scott. He was booked on carrying a weapon while committing or attempting to commit a crime or while in possession or during sale or distribution of a controlled substance; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; felony illegal carrying of weapons; misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; and possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies.
- HERBERT CASEY DEROUEN: 25, of the 400 block of 8th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts for Iberia Parish.
- KINNON WAYNE DIGNAM: 38, of the 700 block of Wyman Street, Scott. He was booked on failure to use turn signal and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- ADRIAN DOUGET: 41, of the 300 block of West Branch, Rayne. He was booked on felony theft.
- BRAD FREIDENBERGER: 32, of the 100 block of Glouchester Road, Lafayette. He was booked on fail to yield from a private drive.
- CHADRICK WALLACE HAMILTON: 36, of the 400 block of St. Charles Street, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- KEVIN RAY HOWARD: 47, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for court.
- MEGAN HUVAL: 22, of the 4900 block of West Congress Street, Lafayette. She was booked on malfeasance in office; misdemeanor theft; and obstruction of justice.
- GLENN JASON LANDRY: 54, of the 8100 block of Baudin Road, Maurice. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DILLON RANDAL LEJEUNE: 23, of the 2200 block of Mills Street, Lafayette. He was booked on felony theft; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and speeding.
- KENNETH WAYNE PREJEAN: 36, of the 100 block of Dwayne Street, Duson. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DANIEL EDUARDO SERVIN: 26, of the 100 block of Kentwood Drive, Carencro. He was booked on second-degree battery.
- JOSHUA ALLEN VICE: 30, of the 200 block of Sacile Road, Scott. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- MATTHEW JAMAR WILSON: 26, of the 500 block of North Fontenot Street, Ville Platte. He was booked on operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offenses.