MORGAN CITY — Responding to criticism over social media of one of its police officers, the Morgan City Police Department is backing the officer who arrested a Plaquemine man accused of beating a man accused of trying to drown a 16-year-old girl at a park.
KATC-TV is reporting that the officer on Sunday booked Dusty Rineheart, of Plaquemine, on a count of second-degree battery in the attack on Max Cordova, who is accused of attempting to push the girl’s head underwater and trying to remove the top portion of the her bathing suit. Police say Cordova then got out of the water and walked to the parking area, where he was attacked by Rineheart.
Rineheart is accused of causing severe facial injuries to Cordova, sending him to the hospital, police said.
“Opinions may vary about what action the officer should have taken and whether or not Dusty Rineheart should be deemed a ‘hero,’ ” the department says in the news release. “In this incident, the remarks which attempted to vilify the arresting officer and the department, suggestions about posting bonds for individuals or calling those involved a ‘hero’ without knowing all the facts warranted a response.”
Arrests posted Sept. 2, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- JARED BOURGEOIS: 30, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on improper lane change; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- JAMUSE EDWARD BROUSSARD: 25, of the 900 block of West Simcoe Street, Lafayette. He was booked on aggravated assault with a firearm; false imprisonment; offender armed with dangerous weapon; misdemeanor domestic abuse battery; possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies; possession of or dealing in firearms with obliterated number marks; and resisting an officer.
- PAUL JOSEPH CANON: 44, of the 700 block of Old Spanish Trail, Scott. He was booked on three counts for St. Martin Parish.
- DAMION EDWARDS: 40, of the 400 block of Second Street, Duson. He was booked on aggravated assault.
- DOMINIC FRANCIS: 22, of the 200 block of Buttercup, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- JIMEY GRANT: 21, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary.
- JEROME HENDRICKS: 21, of the 200 block of Merchant Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and resisting an officer.
- WILLIAM FLOYD JENKINS: 27, of the 300 block of North Buchanan Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- BRANDON MICHAEL JUNEAU: 22, of the 100 block of Anastasie Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule III narcotics; misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- CARTEAROS LAGANGE: 17, of the 1300 block of Roper Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass.
- MICHAEL LAVERGNE: 62, of the 200 block of Toby Mouton, Duson. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ROSS FITZGERALD LEOPOLD: 32, of the 1300 block of Roper Drive, Scott. He was booked on domestic abuse aggravated assault.
- MALCOLM JAMAL MARTIN: 24, of the 100 block of South Orleans, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace; two counts of fugitive; and resisting an officer.
- TRACY SEYMOUR: 33, of the 100 block of H. Melancon Road, Carencro. She was booked for Iberville Parish.
- CLIFFORD SINGLETON: 33, of the 2800 block of South Dairy Ashford Street, Houston, Texas. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- JULES ST. JULIEN: 60, of the 200 block of Anne Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- MICHAEL JOHN TRAHAN: 44, no address, of Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary.