A woman living inside a vacant home in Lafayette left a candle unattended Friday afternoon, leading to a fire that closed a portion of the Evangeline Thruway near rush-hour traffic, according to the Lafayette Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the fire in the 1200 block of the Southeast Evangeline Thruway shortly before 5 p.m. and found heavy flames coming from the front of the house, according to a Fire Department news release.

Traffic was diverted around the closed roadway while firefighters battled the blaze, which was quickly brought under control, the released states.

Fire investigators soon identified a woman who had been living in the vacant home and determined she left the home a half hour before the fire, according to the release. Investigators will continue reviewing the case to determine if criminal charges will be filed.