A man suspected of being impaired as he drove on the wrong side of the road early Sunday struck an SUV, killing the driver, an 18-year-old Loreauville High School graduate, the Louisiana State Police said.
Jordan Prince, 18, of Loreauville, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Iberia Parish coroner, according to a State Police news release.
The wreck occurred shortly before 2:45 a.m. when King Ellis, 31, of Jeanerette, drove a Dodge Durango westbound in the eastbound lanes of U.S. 90 near La. 14 and collided with an eastbound Dodge Ram driven by Prince, said State Police Master Trooper Brooks E. David in the news release.
David said Prince applied his brakes in an effort to avoid a crash.
Ellis, who is suspected of impairment, suffered severe injuries and was taken to a hospital, David said. Toxicology tests on both drivers are pending, he said. Authorities are still trying to determine whether the drivers were wearing seat belts.
The collision is under investigation and charges are forthcoming, David said.
Man shot to death; body found in car
A Lafayette man who had been shot was found dead Sunday morning inside of a car, Lafayette police said.
The body of Scotty Alfred, 51, was discovered around 6 a.m. in a four-door automobile in the 300 block of East Foch Street, said Cpl. Paul Mouton, a Lafayette police spokesman.
Anyone with information about the incident may call Lafayette police or Crime Stoppers at (337) 232-TIPS.
Arrests posted May 24, 2015, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s website:
- TYRONN ARCENEAUX: 21, of the 100 block of Huron Street, Carencro. He was booked on failure to secure a driver’s license; felony possession of marijuana; and when lighted lamps are required.
- STORM RYAN AYMOND: 23, of the 100 block of Opta, Youngsville. He was booked on operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offenses.
- THERON DEMAINE BOSLEY: 35, of the 200 block of Hammond Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on contraband; misdemeanor possession of marijuana; resisting an officer; simple escape; aggravated escape; and four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- BRANDON SCOTT BROUSSARD: 27, of the 200 block of Lorman Street, Scott. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and warrant/bench warrant.
- JARED WAYNE BROWN: 39, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace and criminal trespass.
- DARIUS BROWN: 20, Lafayette. He was booked on aggravated battery.
- DALLAS LIONEL DAVIS: 33, of the 100 block of Boulet, Lafayette. He was booked for St. Martin Parish.
- JOHN ALLEN DOUCET: 55, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- JOSHUA JAMES FRANCIS: 31, of the 100 block of North Pine Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- BILL GATES: 46, of the 800 block of Martin Luther King Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on simple criminal damage to property.
- MELVIN HERRERA: 36, of the 4600 block of Cotton Lane, Memphis, Tennessee. He was booked on two counts of disturbing the peace.
- ISSAC JULIAN: 35, of the 1000 block of Bill Clause Drive, Breaux Bridge. He was booked for Lafourche Parish.
- BRANDON LANDRY: 32, of the 600 block of West Main Street, Brousard. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and failure to obey traffic control.
- QUINCY JAMES MARSHALL: 34, of the 1000 block of Northwest Evangeline Thruway, Lafayette. He was booked on operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- CECILIO MEDRANO: 19, of the 100 block of Sunset Street, Opelousas. He was booked on careless operation; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and not having a driver’s license.
- KATIE MUSSER: 23, of the 200 block of Theatre Street, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and headlights.
- ISAIAH PORTER: 24, of the 1500 block of Duchamp Road, St. Martinville. He was booked on careless driving; hit and run driving; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and no driver license in possession.
- JOSE G. RUBIO: 24, of the 100 block of Forest Hill, Alexandria. He was booked on failure to secure a driver’s license; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle.
- EDGAR OSORNIO SILVA: 18, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- KENDRELL LETRELL SIMMONS: 23, of the 300 block of Arbon Street, Carencro. He was booked on criminal trespass; misdemeanor theft; and shoplifting.
- BRANDON ADRAIL STOKES: 43, of the 1000 block of 11th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass and simple battery.
- THORNTON WALKER: 31, of the 400 block of B Street, Duson. He was booked on hold for extradition.