Derrick Stafford, 32, left, and Norris Greenhouse, Jr., 23

A former Louisiana law enforcement officer charged with murder in a 6-year-old boy's shooting death will be jailed before trial for violating his bail conditions.

KATC-TV reported on Friday that a judge sentenced Norris Greenhouse Jr., son of an Avoyelles Parish assistant district attorney, to seven days in jail for failing to properly report his recent trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands.

However, state District Court Judge William Bennett didn't revoke Greenhouse's bond pending his October trial.

Bennett noted that the restrictions on Greenhouse were not to punish him, but to protect him.

"I have, due to the furor this case has caused, been concerned for your safety, and at times my safety," Bennett said. He said reports of the unauthorized trip "have caused another furor."

"This is not the fault of anyone else," Bennett said. "It's your responsibility."

Greenhouse is charged with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder for the shooting that killed Jeremy Mardis and critically wounded his father, Christopher Few, following a 2-mile car chase.

The state Attorney General's Office, which is prosecuting the cases, took Greenhouse to court after learning that he went on a vacation to the U.S. Virgin Islands while on house arrest. The Attorney's Office wasn't notified, officials said.

Greenhouse did apologize to the court for not notifying everyone he was supposed to. He said he only notified the company that maintains his ankle bracelet.

"He wanted to tell the judge that he had not reported and he wanted to take accountability for himself, not a lawyer taking accountability for him," said George Higgins, Greenhouse's attorney.

Prosecutors were satisfied with the sentence as well.

"Well, we listened and what I heard was that he admitted that he had violated the conditions of the bond and said he was willing to accept whatever punishment the judge gave out," said lead prosecutor John Sinquefield.

After a brief hearing, the judge in the case ordered Greenhouse to serve seven days in jail for his violation, but allowed the bail to remain in place.

Greenhouse, who is free on $1 million bond, was ordered to report to the Avoyelles Parish Jail at 2 p.m. Monday to serve his seven-day sentence.

A second officer, Derrick Stafford, was convicted of manslaughter in March in the killing of the boy and wounding of his father. Greenhouse and Stafford were moonlighting as deputy city marshals in Marksville when the November 2015 shooting happened. Stafford was sentenced to 40 years in prison.

A video of the shooting, captured on the body camera of a third officer at the scene and shown several times during Stafford's trial, shows Few raising his hands out the window of the Kia Sportage during the shooting, apparently surrendering.

"He shot 14 times while my hands were in the air," Few testified during the trial. "He just kept shooting."

KATC-TV contributed to this report.