Dryer malfunction sparks blaze at Arceneaux Road home in Scott _lowres

Photo provided by Scott Fire Department -- Scott Fire Department responded to an accidental house fire, caused by a dryer malfunction, at 234 D. Arceneaux Road Saturday afternoon.

The Scott Fire Department responded Saturday afternoon to an accidental house fire on Arceneaux Road caused by a malfunctioning dryer.

Firefighters observed heavy smoke coming from the roof in the back of the home at 234 D. Arceneaux Road when they arrived around 3:00 p.m., said Scott Fire Department Chief Chad Sonnier. They quickly contained the blaze, which was located in the utility room.

The fire was ruled an accident following an investigation, Sonnier said.

The homeowner put a load of clothes in the dryer and went take a nap in his bedroom, Sonner said. He later awoke to heavy smoke in the bedroom and tried to find the cause.

When he found the hallway filled with smoke, he retreated to his bedroom and escaped through a window.

The investigation determined the dryer malfunctioned, causing the fire, Sonnier said.

No one was injured, but the utility room sustained heavy fire damage, while the living room adjacent to the laundry room sustained moderate damage, Sonnier said. The rest of the home had some smoke damage as well.