LAFAYETTE — One of two men accused in the June killing of an off-duty Vermilion Parish sheriff’s deputy attacked a deputy in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center Monday night, authorities said.
Quintylan Kerry Richard, who is being held on first-degree murder charges in the shooting death of 51-year-old Allen Bares Jr., walked up behind a Lafayette Parish deputy and struck him in the head and face several times, according to Capt. Craig Stansbury, of the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office.
The injured deputy was part of a group of deputies conducting wellness checks when the attack occurred about 9:40 p.m. Monday, Stansbury said. He said the deputy was treated at a local hospital for lacerations and has since been released.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Richard and Baylon Lashawn Taylor, both 20, for Bares’ murder. The two will be tried in separate 15th Judicial District courts with different judges and defense attorneys. Assistant District Attorney Ted Ayo will prosecute both cases.
Bares was off-duty June 23 when he saw Richard and Taylor, police say, breaking into a house on South Hospital Drive in Abbeville. He was shot when he confronted the two men, who then fled the scene in Bares’ vehicle.
After an overnight lockdown and manhunt in Abbeville, Taylor turned himself in, while Richard was later found and arrested in Kaplan.
Taylor is being held in the Acadia Parish jail.
Man accused of molesting ex’s child
LAFAYETTE — A Lafayette man was arrested Tuesday, accused of molesting his ex-girlfriend’s daughter repeatedly over a period of several years.
Jason Willis, 31, is accused of doing “inappropriate things” with the girl from when she was 5 years old until age 11, when her mother broke up with Willis in 2012, according to KATC-TV.
The molestation allegedly continued later when the victim would visit Willis and his wife. The girl told detectives she continued to visit Willis because he was the only father she had ever known, KATC reports.
The victim told police Willis threatened to kill her if she told anyone.
Willis was released from jail after posting a $75,000 bail. He’s expected in court Friday morning.
Arrests posted Oct. 8, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s website:
- MEAGAN ASHLEY BALLOU: 24, of the 1200 block of St. Mary Street, Scott. She was booked on felony operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- RICKEY DOUGLAS BARKER: 23, of the 100 block of Dolese Street, Lafayette. He was booked on unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- DANION BELL: 31, of the 100 block of Ridgeview Drive, Broussard. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- TODD J. BERGERON: 33, of the 7500 block of Bull Island Road, New Iberia. He was booked for St. Martin Parish.
- TRE`VIN BOB: 17, of the 17 block of Windsor Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary and misdemeanor illegal possession of stolen things.
- KATIE ELAINE BURNS: 35, of the 100 block of Borel Road, Sunset. She was booked on two counts of hold for St. Landry.
- EUGENE CHAMBERS: 32, of the 1600 block of E. Maple Road, Eunice. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- JEREMY SCOTT DAIGLE: 35, of the 500 block of Bourque Road, Church Point. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- MIRANDA MARIE DALCOURT: 33, of the 600 block of Cecile Boulevard, Breaux Bridge. She was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- MICHAEL HARGRODER: 59, of the 300 block of St. Matthew Road, Church Point. He was booked on soliciting for prostitutes.
- ALEX B. HILLIARD: 26, of the 400 block of Old Settlement Road, Lafayette. He was booked for Vermilion Parish.
- CEILYN D. HUYNH: 34, of the 200 block of Wallace Broussard, Carencro. She was booked on contraband; entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden; and possession of marijuana.
- CALVIN ISADORE: 47, of the 100 block of W. Cedar Street, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- BYRONNE NELSON JENKINS: 32, of the 200 block of Lacombie Street, Lafayette. He was booked on having no safety belt; misdemeanor domestic abuse battery; and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- WILLIAM FLOYD JENKINS: 27, of the 300 block of N. Buchanan Street, Lafayette. He was booked on soliciting for prostitutes.
- KERRY LATRELL JONES: 42, of the 4100 block of Dabney Street, Houston, Texas. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- MARK ANTHONY JOSEPH: 32, of the 300 block of Lebesque Road, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- LARRY MCCRACKEN: 40, of the 8000 block of Big Bend, San Antonio, Texas. He was booked on felony operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- DEASYRE PARKMAN: 30, of the 100 block of N. Marigny Circle, Lafayette. She was booked for Rapides Parish.
- ALBERT PICKNEY II: 24, of the 200 block of Saskatchewan, Lafayette. He was booked on interference with medical treatment; misdemeanor battery of a police officer; and resisting an officer.
- JOSEPH P. ROY: 39, of the 4800 block of Shreveport Highway, Pineville. He was booked on monetary instrument abuse.
- QUENTON TURNER: 22, of the 1000 block of Kaliste Saloom, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- MICAH VISSER: 32, of the 1100 block of Dulles Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace while intoxicated.
- KEVIN JOSEPH WHITE: 31, of the 100 block of Happiness Street, Lafayette. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- BRYAN DAVID WHITE: 36, of the 300 block of Camelot Hill Drive, Youngsville. He was booked on two counts of fugitive.
- JASON C. WILLIS: 31, of the 100 block of Crooked Creek, Lafayette. He was booked on molestation of a juvenile or a person with a physical or mental disability.