Mother sentenced in death of 3-year-old
LAFAYETTE — A mother who pleaded guilty to negligence in allowing her boyfriend to beat her son to death in months of abuse was sentenced Thursday to five years in prison at hard labor, KATC-TV reported.
Judge Glennon Everett sentenced Laura Smith to 10 years in prison, then suspended five years of the sentence.
Broussard is being housed at the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola awaiting trials on first-degree murder and aggravated rape. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty in the murder charge.
Smith is expected to testify against Broussard at the murder trial, which has not been scheduled.
An autopsy shows Julian, 3, died of blunt-force trauma to the head, face and neck, according to KATC, and court documents allege that the boy was repeatedly abused and that DNA evidence suggests Broussard raped the boy.
Alleged robbers chased to Kaplan, hit deputy
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette police and State Police chased suspected purse snatchers in a stolen car into Vermilion Parish on Wednesday night, a pursuit that injured a Vermilion Parish sheriff’s deputy in Kaplan who joined the chase before being crashed into, officials said.
The events started with a robbery at 9:10 p.m. in a parking lot in the 1700 block of Northeast Evangeline Thruway, Lafayette Police Cpl. Paul Mouton said. A 51-year-old woman was sitting in her car when she was hit in the face by a man who opened the door to her car, smacked her in the left eye and stole a pack of cigarettes, Mouton said.
Ten minutes later, in a parking lot in the 3800 block of Moss Street, a 60-year-old woman walking to her car tried to run when she heard loud steps behind her. She wasn’t fast enough; she was pushed to the ground and her purse stolen, Mouton said.
In both incidents, the men got away in a silver car. But in the second alleged attack, a witness called police.
Lafayette police started pursuing the car, with State Police joining in as the chase reached U.S. 167 headed to Abbeville, Master Trooper Brooks David said in a news release.
The chase ended when the suspects’ car hit the Vermilion Parish sheriff’s deputy, who was treated and released from a local hospital.
Earl Meche, 34, of Kaplan, was arrested on the spot. Reco Williams, 38, of Lafayette, was handcuffed after a police dog caught him, officials said.
Meche was booked on counts of aggravated flight from an officer, unauthorized use of a moveable and simple robbery. Williams was booked on counts of simple robbery, resisting arrest and battery on an officer.
Both women accosted in Lafayette were treated for minor injuries.
Lafayette man pleads guilty to sex charges
A 66-year-old Lafayette man has pleaded guilty in St. Landry Parish to sex charges that go back almost four decades, KATC-TV reported.
Although the case documents are sealed, the TV station was able to confirm that Gerald Duhon pleaded guilty to two counts of indecent behavior with a juvenile, one count stemming from a 1977 instance. He’ll be sentenced in November.
Opelousas Police said last year that Duhon originally was booked on two counts of molestation of a juvenile, four counts of oral sexual battery and one count of indecent behavior with a juvenile. Police Chief Perry Gallow had said the victims were all under the age of 10 at the time of the crimes, which date from 1969 through 1979.
Fourth suspect caught in St. Martin case
ST. MARTINVILLE — A St. Martinville man arrested by agents with the U.S. Marshals Service last week was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish jail Thursday morning on one count of attempted first-degree murder.
Kelvin Batiste, 20, was arrested at a Baton Rouge apartment complex in the Aug. 18 home invasion and shooting on Russo Milazzo Road in St. Martinville, St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Capt. Ginny Higgins said in a release.
Another suspect in the home invasion, Kee’cyric Warner, a 17-year-old from New Iberia, was arrested Aug. 29, Higgins said.
Two others, Kedrick Paul Broussard, 19, of Carencro, and Kecyiel Maleka Warner, 18, of New Iberia, were previously arrested in an Aug. 18 incident on Russo Milazzo Road. They too are being held on counts of attempted first-degree murder.
Batiste was transported Thursday to the St. Martin Parish jail, where no bail had been set.
Bail for Broussard, Kee’cyric Warner and Kecyiel Maleka Warner was set at $500,000 each.
Arrests posted Sept. 4, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- LOUIS ADAMS: 52, of the 200 block of Frank Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic-abuse battery.
- JOSEPH SHELTON ALEXANDER: 56, of the 800 block of Cecilia Boulevard, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on fugitive warrant.
- SHYLA ANDERSON: 22, of the 500 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. She was booked on fugitive warrant.
- DESIREE ARCENEAUX: 19, of the 1600 block of 12th Street, Lafayette. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- IMANI ARCENEAUX: 19, of the 600 block of West Gillman Road, Lafayette. She was booked on aggravated assault; criminal trespass; disturbing the peace; felony illegal carrying of weapons; and illegal possession of stolen firearms.
- REGINALD ROYNELL BABINEAUX: 28, of the 300 block of Walter Drive, Carencro. He was booked on two counts of fugitive warrant.
- SCOTTY LEE BENNETT: 41, of the 200 block of Lovely Road, Duson. He was booked on second-degree battery.
- VIOLA MARIE BRUNO: 30, of the 100 block of Alsandor Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on aggravated battery.
- TORIANA BRUNO: 18, of the 300 block of 12th Street, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor theft and three counts of simple burglary.
- CHANTA MICHELLE DAVIS: 36, of the 1100 block of Roper Drive, Scott. She was booked on fugitive.
- DUSTIE DEJEAN DROUET: 34, of the 5700 block of U.S. 167 North, Ville Platte. She was booked on two counts of fugitive.
- RICHARD GACHASSIN: 50, of the 1300 block of Versailles Crescent, New Iberia. He was booked on felony operating a vehicle while intoxicated and failure to yield.
- SHERMAN DOMOND GANT: 35, of the 400 block of South Bienville Street, Lafayette. He was booked on seven counts of felony prohibited acts and all schedules.
- TRAVIS TRAVONN GRIFFIN: 28, of the 200 block of Crooked Creek, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic-abuse battery.
- JOHN GUMPERT: 52, of the 100 block of Country Village Drive, Youngsville. He was booked on misdemeanor hit-and-run driving and misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle.
- PETER LEE HAMILTON: 32, of the 100 block of North Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- RUEBEN HUDSON HARRIS: 63, of the 400 block of Sixth Street, Lake Charles. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant and hold for extradition.
- ANGELICA HOFFPAUIR: 39, of the 500 block of East 10th Street, Crowley. She was booked on probation violation and warrant/bench warrant.
- CALEB JUDE ISADORE: 21, of the 500 block of Venus Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for court.
- CLIFTON JOSEPH JOHNSON: 30, of the 200 block of Belgium Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor issuing worthless checks and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JASON LADAY: 25, of the 300 block of Anointing Drive, Opelousas. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- SHELTON PAUL LINDON: 35, of the 200 block of Sweetbriar Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- RASHEED X. LINDON: 20, of the 300 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on simple battery and simple criminal damage to property.
- ASHLEE NICOLE MEEK: 29, of the 300 block of Herlil Circle, Carencro. She was booked on felony theft.
- LANCE OLIVER MENARD: 34, of the 400 block of Wallace Broussard Road, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic-abuse child endangerment.
- RENEE HYVER PHILLIPS: 45, of the 100 block of Boulder Creek Parkway, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- CODY DOUGLAS PIERSON: 25, of the 400 block of Theriot Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts for St. Martin Parish and sale, distribution or possession of prescription drugs without prescription.
- MATTHEW CURTIS ROGERS: 33, of the 100 block of D Calypso Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on improper lane change (no accident); misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; open container of alcohol in a vehicle; and speeding.
- JALISSA SENEGAL: 17, of the 1100 block of Madeline Avenue, Lafayette. She was booked on criminal trespass; disturbing the peace; and two counts of fugitive.
- JACOB SIMON: 53, of the 700 block of Patterson Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic-abuse battery.
- JUSTIN TRAHAN: 21, of the 200 block of Palms Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling and warrant/bench warrant.
- BEAU ANTHONY VINCENT: 23, of the 100 block of Waterford Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and open container of alcohol in a vehicle.
- EDWARD W. WYNNE: 70, of the 200 block of B Penbroke Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.