BREAUX BRIDGE — An 88-year-old Breaux Bridge man died of his injuries Monday after he drove into the path of an oncoming vehicle on La. 328 near Poche Bridge Road, State Police report.
Ray Calais was driving a 2013 Chevrolet SUV westbound on Poche Bridge Road on Monday afternoon and stopped at a stop sign at its intersection with La. 328. He turned left onto La. 328 into the path of a 1993 Ford Explorer driven by 24-year-old-Jeremy Levier, who was headed south on the highway, Master Trooper Brooks David wrote in a news release.
The front of the Explorer struck the driver’s side of the Chevrolet SUV, David said.
Calais, who was wearing a seat belt, sustained critical injuries and was transported to a local hospital, where he died, David said. Levier, who was not wearing a seat belt, and an occupant in the Explorer were transported to local hospitals in Lafayette with moderate injuries.
Alcohol is not suspected to be a factor in this crash; however; routine toxicology samples were taken and sent to the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab for analysis, David said.
Levier was cited for no proof of insurance, no seat belt, driving under suspension and canceled license plate.
New Iberia man booked in woman’s shooting
ST. MARTINVILLE — Authorities arrested a New Iberia man Sunday night after one woman was killed and another injured in a shooting on Orphe Road, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Donovan Kennedy, 25, was booked into the St. Martin Parish Correctional Center on a count of second-degree murder and a count of attempted second-degree murder in the shooting, which happened about 9:45 p.m. during a domestic dispute, St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Maj. Ginny Higgins said Monday in a news release.
Family members identified the 20-year-old woman as Breya Batiste, of St. Martinville, who had a child with Kennedy, KATC-TV reported.
The other victim was Batiste’s sister, Higgins said.
Five booked in robbery, stabbing, beating
MORGAN CITY — Five people were booked following a Sunday morning robbery, stabbing and beating that hospitalized a 33-year-old man, KATC-TV reported.
Mariah A. Grimes, 21, and Geronimo R. Martinez, 28, were booked into the St. Mary Parish Jail on counts of attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery and aggravated burglary after the victim reported the incident about 5 a.m. Sunday in the 800 block of Levee Road, Morgan City police said.
The victim knew Grimes, police said.
Another three men, Jesus Muñoz Perez, Zenen Vasquez and Ossiel Muñoz Perez, were detained in Vidor, Texas, and will be booked on counts of aggravated burglary in the incident once they’re extradited to St. Mary Parish, police said.
The victim told police a group of people forced their way into his home, robbed him, beat him and cut him. Officers said they found him bleeding from several wounds and gashes and believe a tire iron found on the scene was used during the attack.
Arrests posted Dec. 15, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- IRVING DWAYNE ANGELLE JR.: 34, of the 900 block of North Pierce Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and driving the wrong way on a one-way roadway.
- JAMES CITIZEN JR.: 41, of the 100 block of Hebert Road, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery and misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- HENDRIC LEE CORMIER: 27, of the 1100 block of Moss Street, Lafayette. He was booked on armed robbery.
- DEMARCUS D. CROSS: 31, of the 100 block of Lucy Street, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- BRI’ANI LASHEA DOUCET: 18, of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- YAHSHUA GLADDEN: 22, of the 9000 block of South Greenwood Avenue, Chicago. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
- KELAN GRANGER: 35, of the 100 block of Drain Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and failure to secure a driver’s license.
- TAYLOR NICOLE JACQUNEAUX: 22, of the 1100 block of Renaud Drive, Scott. She was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- ADRIENNE MARIE KING: 28, of the 200 block of Windcreek Lane, Youngsville. She was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- TREVON MCZEAL: 17, of the 100 block of Vieux Orleans Circle, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of contributing to the delinquency of juveniles; felony theft; and simple burglary.
- JEROME ROBERT NELSON: 25, of the 2700 block of La. 360, Grand Prairie, Texas. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics.
- BEAU NATHANIEL PATIN: 29, of the 100 block of St. Fidelis Street, Carencro. He was booked on driving on the wrong side of the road; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and unlawful use of license.
- GEORGE FERNEST PICARD: 55, of the 1700 block of Eraste Landry Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- BILLY PRESTON PREJEAN: 57, of the 1000 block of Ninth Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- TYLER ANN SOLOMON: 22, of the 100 block of Van Buren Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on five counts of contributing to the delinquency of juveniles and felony theft of goods.
- JUSTIN ANDREW TRAHAN: 23, of the 100 block of Bickerton Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- MARY ELLEN YOUNG: 54, of the 100 block of Old Settlement Road, Lafayette. She was booked on criminal mischief.