IOTA — Two Iota men suspected of home invasion and attempted murder were arrested Thursday, with one leading Acadia Parish sheriff’s deputies on a six-hour search of woods off Eunice Iota Highway, police said.
Billy West, 37, and James Rozas, 26, were booked on counts of attempted second-degree murder, home invasion and criminal damage to property, sheriff’s spokeswoman Maxine Trahan said.
Deputies were alerted to a home invasion in the 5000 block of Eunice Iota Highway a little after 1 p.m., and later chased the fleeing vehicle containing Rozas and West. Police reports don’t identify who was driving.
The chase ended in the 3600 block of Eunice Iota Highway and both suspects took off on foot. West didn’t run far and gave up; Rozas ran into a wooded area that extended for 10 miles and was captured about six hours later, Trahan said.
Detectives suspect both men forced their way into a home and attacked a couple. The couple’s Eunice Iota Highway home is on the same roadway on which Rozas and West live, Trahan said.
The male victim was transported to Opelousas General for cuts to his back and hands, injuries that are not life-threatening, Trahan said.
Members of the Eunice Marshal’s Office, Eunice Police Department, State Police and Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries helped in the search of a case that remains under investigation.
2 accused of abusing disabled woman
MORGAN CITY — Two sisters are accused of neglecting an elderly disabled woman in their care and stealing the victim’s money, police said.
Heaven Daigle, 21, was booked Thursday on counts of cruelty to the infirm, exploitation of the infirm and on a warrant for unauthorized use of a bank access card. Her sister Bethany Daigle, 22, was arrested on identical counts on Aug. 4, Morgan City Police Capt. James Blair said.
The Daigles “refused proper medical and physical care to the victim, (whom) they left in a severely frail state,” Blair said in a news release. “The conditions were found to be unsanitary and a danger to the victim.”
The victim, who in July was found malnourished and dehydrated, was not identified.
The Daigles also are accused of using the victim’s bank card to buy $2,835 in goods.
Heaven Daigle was arrested on Thursday near the intersection of Sixth and General McArthur streets and locked up at the Morgan City jail.
Blair said there are no other suspects, but the case remains under investigation.
Authorities ID Crowley man shot by police
CROWLEY — A man fatally shot by Crowley police officers after he reportedly shot at them during a disturbance call Monday has been identified as 53-year-old Melvin Leblanc, of Crowley, according to State Police.
State Police Master Trooper Brooks David said Crowley Police Chief K.P. Gibson contacted State Police on Monday afternoon regarding an officer-involved shooting on Crawford Street.
Police say they responded to a disturbance call when Leblanc allegedly shot an unknown number of bullets at officers on the scene.
Officers returned fire and fatally shot Leblanc.
Gibson confirms that two Crowley officers have been placed on administrative leave pending results of a State Police investigation, which is protocol for an officer-involved shooting.
Neither State Police nor Crowley Police have released the names of the officers involved in the shooting.
Arrests posted Aug. 15, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- TELLIS ANDERSON: 27, of the 300 block of Sabatier Road, Scott. He was booked on fugitive warrant.
- RICHARD ARCENEAUX: 46, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on resisting an officer and for Calcasieu Parish.
- MANDY FRANCIS ASHLEY: 36, of the 300 block of 4th Street, Abbeville. She was booked on felony theft.
- EDWARD PAUL BREAUX: 33, of the 3900 block of Rue Martine, New Iberia. He was booked on aggravated assault.
- KRISTEN MARIE BRIGGS: 24, of the 100 block of Irish Bend Drive, Youngsville. She was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule III narcotics; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics; possession of marijuana; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- RACQUELLE RENEE CHEVALIER: 21, of the 100 block of Roe Street, Lafayette. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- LYNOL JAMES CHRISTIAN: 33, of the 300 block of Sunnyside Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on attempted simple robbery; failure to secure a driver’s license; having no safety belt; and second-degree battery.
- BIANCA M. FAULK: 23, of the 300 block of Ena Street, Lafayette. She was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ROBERT FISHER: 58, of the 300 block of Rayburn Street, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass.
- JAIVON MARQUIAS FORD: 30, of the 100 block of Teurlings Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive and warrant/bench warrant.
- BRICETON JAMAL GALLIEN: 25, of the 200 block of Basin Street, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- RONALD GENE GRUDEWICZ: 57, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on a hold for the Department of Corrections.
- TINKIA LASHAWN HAMILTON: 35, of the 200 block of Guidry Street, Lafayette. She was booked on three counts of fugitive.
- TOBIAS D. HARRISON: 22, of the 100 block of South Refinery Street, Lafayette. He was booked on aggravated burglary and battery; failure to use turn signal; flight from an officer; aggravated flight from an officer; two counts of illegal possession of stolen firearms; possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies; and four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DONAVON HENRY: 25, of the 600 block of 5th Street, Duson. He was booked on attempted second-degree murder; felony illegal carrying of weapons; illegal possession of stolen firearms; misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle; and resisting an officer.
- LAJUSTINE JOINER: 25, of the 300 block of Darryl Street, Lafayette. She was booked on six counts of misdemeanor issuing worthless checks.
- CHASE LEGER: 19, of the 700 block of Whitmore Street, Scott. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- EARL LEWIS: 45, of the 200 block of Lodge Street, Lafayette. He was booked on four counts of fugitive and misdemeanor theft of goods.
- JACOBY JOHNSON MALBROUGH: 27, of the 1900 block of North St. Antoine Street, Lafayette. He was booked on five counts for St. Martin Parish.
- KRISTEN M. MARCEAUX: 34, of the 100 block of Hali Drive, Crowley. She was booked on two counts of fugitive and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ILLATRISHA DESHA MARSHALL: 40, of the 100 block of Carencro Street, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and criminal trespass.
- CHRISTOPHER L. MAYEUX: 27, of the 200 block of Clay Road, Scott. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery and misdemeanor theft.
- JONATHAN JAMES MOUTON: 35, of the 1000 block of South Sterling Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of carrying a weapon while committing or attempting to commit a crime or while in possession or during sale or distribution of a controlled substance; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies; and transactions involving proceeds from drug offenses.
- TED NIX: 50, of the 100 block of Elodie Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on aggravated battery.
- SANDRA LEE PELLERIN: 52, of the 1700 block of Eraste Landry Street, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless driving.
- SHAWN MICHAEL POMIER: 29, of the 200 block of Stanley Road, Carencro. He was booked on felony illegal possession of stolen things.
- JUSTIN ROBERT RACCA: 21, of the 100 block of Crest Hill Drive, Youngsville. He was booked on two counts of possession of Schedule II narcotics with intent to distribute; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); tail-light violation.
- VIRDNA MAE RANDLE: 38, of the 200 block of Pamela Street, Carencro. She was booked on fugitive.
- ARMANI SEVILLE: 17, of the 100 block of Collins Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple criminal damage to property.
- TREY SIMONEAUX: 31, of the 1100 block of Hendrick Street, Patterson. He was booked on resisting an officer.
- CARL EDWARD SMOAK: 63, of the 100 block of Welch Road, Carencro. He was booked on aggravated battery.
- AMY WHIDDON: 29, of the 11888 block of Longbridge Avenue, Baton Rouge. She was booked on fugitive.
- ABE WILLIAMS: 31, of the 100 block of Prairie Avenue, New Iberia. He was booked on for Jefferson Parish.