A trial is postponed until early 2016 to allow experts time to review the military medical files of the Breaux Bridge man accused in the fatal crash last year that killed two teenaged girls and injured another as they walked to school.

Assistant District Attorney Chester Cedars, who’s prosecuting the case, said experts for both the prosecution and defense will review the just-received military medical records of 33-year-old Jeremy Abraham.

“How (those records) might translate into operating a vehicle while impaired remains to be seen,” Cedars said Thursday.

Abraham’s Belle Chasse attorney, Peter Barbee, filed a motion Thursday to continue the trial.

Barbee, who could not be reached at his office Friday, said Abraham suffered severe head trauma while serving in the military, and the attorney plans to highlight that in the man’s defense.

Abraham is charged with two counts of vehicular homicide and a count of first-degree vehicular negligent injuring in the Oct. 30, 2014, crash that killed Cornasha Flugence, 15, and Kylee Henry, 14, and caused severe injury to Flugence’s sister, Niya Flugence, now 14 years old.

Abraham is accused of traveling twice the 25 mph speed limit in his pickup truck on Breaux Bridge’s Martin Street when he struck the girls, who were walking to school about 7:30 a.m. that day. Abraham then crashed into a culvert and utility pole before coming to a stop a block away.

State Police at the time said Abraham’s condition after the crash reflected that of someone under the influence, which Cedars said the toxicology report corroborates — although he’s declined to disclose the contents of the report.

Barbee said Abraham tested positive only for tetrahydrocannabinol — or THC, the psychoactive substance in marijuana — at a level of about 1 nanogram of THC per milliliter of blood.

To be convicted of vehicular homicide, one of the requirements in state law is that urine and blood samples show the person was under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance at the time of the crash.

Following a brief hospitalization after the crash, Abraham has since remained in the St. Martin Parish jail in lieu of $133,000 bail.

Follow Lanie Lee Cook on Twitter, @lanieleecook, or contact her by phone at (337) 534-0825.