CROWLEY — Two Crowley men were arrested late Thursday night after one of them was accused of firing a gun at a police officer on North Avenue near West Eighth Street, authorities said.
Jarvis Hopkins, 20, is accused of attempted first-degree murder of a police officer after he fired his weapon during a traffic stop shortly before midnight, Crowley Police Chief K.P. Gibson said. The officer returned fire, but neither individual was struck by a bullet.
Hopkins exited the vehicle and fired at the officer as he was pulling Hopkins over for driving with switched license plates, Gibson said. Hopkins’ 18-year-old passenger Tyler Smith tried to flee, but the officer apprehended him, Gibson said.
Smith was booked into Acadia Parish Jail on principal to attempted first-degree murder of a police officer and resisting an officer, Gibson said. Hopkins also was booked into the Acadia Parish Jail on a count of resisting an officer and multiple traffic violations.
Investigators determined Hopkins was driving a vehicle with a switched license plate, a practice common to “drug rental” vehicles, Gibson said.
“We are working additional personnel in light of the recent violence within our community to stop the handful of people who are turning to these violent acts,” Gibson said. “We need our citizens to get involved and report crime and suspicious activity.”
UL-Lafayette students alerted to suicidal man
LAFAYETTE — An unarmed man claiming to be suicidal near the University of Louisiana at Lafayette campus Friday morning was admitted to a mental health facility for evaluation, authorities said.
The university sent text alerts to students about 11 a.m. about a suicidal man “suspected to have a gun,” who was reported driving near McDonald’s on Johnston Street near St. Mary, according to the text messages.
The man reached out to a family member and said he wanted to commit suicide, said Cpl. Paul Mouton, spokesman for the Lafayette Police Department. The family member notified police, who found him within 15 minutes near Johnston Street and St. Mary Boulevard based on a description of his vehicle.
There was no gun on his person or in the vehicle, he added.
“He was reaching for help,” Mouton said. “Fortunately, we were able to find him pretty quickly.”
Police nab suspect in drive-by shooting
NEW IBERIA — A man wanted on three counts of attempted first-degree murder in a drive-by shooting in Crowley was apprehended in New Iberia on Friday, authorities said.
Acting on a tip, detectives found 25-year-old Phillip Olivier Jr. hiding in a vehicle at an abandoned home on Brianna Drive, said Capt. Ryan Turner, spokesman for the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Olivier was wanted for firing multiple shots at a vehicle carrying three people in the 1100 block of Western Avenue in Crowley on Oct. 14, Crowley Police Chief K.P. Gibson said.
Abbeville man, 20, ID’d in fatal motorcycle crash
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette police have identified the victim in an early Thursday morning motorcycle crash that remains under investigation, authorities said.
Justin R. Rice, of Abbeville, died at an area hospital about 7 p.m., said Cpl. Paul Mouton, Lafayette Police Department spokesman. A police officer found the 20-year-old on Foreman Drive about 1:13 a.m. Thursday after the cyclist crossed the center line and crashed his motorcycle into a mailbox, Mouton said.
Traffic investigators are encouraging anyone who may have witnessed the crash to contact the Lafayette Police Department, Mouton said.
Arrests posted Oct. 24, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- RANDY PAUL ALFRED JR.: 21, of the 100 block of Brina Lane, Carencro. He was booked on fugitive.
- JONATHAN BELLOW: 30, of the 400 block of Plantation Road, Opelousas. He was booked on hold for St. Landry.
- TAYLOR BREAUX: 18, of the 600 block of Sunset, Lafayette. She was booked on simple battery.
- ANDRE CORTELLE BROUSSARD: 41, of the 1000 block of Roy Melancon Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DAMIAN LOWELL BUNCH: 33, of the 300 block of Spruce Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- MARCO JACOBY CARRON: 29, of the 100 block of Netta Street, Lafayette. He was booked on entry on or remaining in place; misdemeanor domestic abuse battery; and misdemeanor theft.
- JOHN EARL COOLEY: 44, of the 900 block of Saizon, Port Barre. He was booked on municipal purposes.
- ANDREW JOSEPH DALFREY: 24, of the 200 block of Printemps, Carencro. He was booked on municipal purposes.
- MICHAEL LAMAR DAVIS: 30, of the 900 block of Bossier, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- TRAVIS LODGES DOMOND: 31, of the 400 block of Marigold Loop, Lafayette. He was booked on shoplifting and three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- NICHOLAS GARRETT FLYNN: 21, of the 100 block of Theriot Street, Gueydan. He was booked on hold for the Department of Corrections.
- SKYLER PAUL GARY: 21, of the 200 block of Hoffpauir Road, Rayne. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- AARON DREW GASKIN: 31, of the 100 block of Serenity Sound, Lafayette. He was booked on failure to register vehicle; four counts for Lafourche Parish; improper display of license plate; littering; no driver license in possession; resisting an officer; and warrant/bench warrant.
- TIMOTHY JOHN GAUDIN: 27, of the 300 block of Rustic Lane, Duson. He was booked on two counts for Vermilion Parish; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle; and municipal purposes.
- EDWARD GOODALE: 40, of the 500 block of Leo Street, Patterson. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- JOSHUA HENRY: 26, of the 1700 block of J.D. Miller Street, Crowley. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- YUSEF JOSEPH HILL: 23, of the 2100 block of Edia Street, Maurice. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- BENJAMIN AARON HOOK: 18, of the 7500 block of Soop Road, Maurice. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- TREY JOHNSON: 20, of the 1000 block of Poplar Street, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for court.
- MARCUS JOHNSON: 52, of the 100 block of Bachert Street, Lafayette. He was booked on manslaughter.
- HEATHER LANGLEY: 23, of the 800 block of St Joseph Street, Elton. She was booked on two counts of hold for st. landry and misdemeanor theft.
- APRIL LANTIER: 30, of the 100 block of Lindsey Circle, Carencro. She was booked on unlawful to possess Schedule III drugs.
- COREY JAMES LEGER: 23, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for court.
- QUINCY JOSEPH LIVINGS: 34, of the 700 block of Myrkis Street, New Iberia. He was booked on armed robbery; two counts for Iberia Parish; and fugitive.
- ELIZABETH BELLA MCDOWELL: 33, of the 600 block of Mcdonald Street, New Iberia. She was booked on two counts for Iberia Parish.
- JOSSIE D. PERROT: 31, of the 500 block of Orchid Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on felony distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics.
- BRIAN KEITH RABEAUX: 47, of the 1200 block of W. University Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on carrying a weapon while committing or attempting to commit a crime or while in possession or during sale or distribution of a controlled substance; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics; four counts of illegal use of controlled dangerous substances in the presence of persons under 17 years old; misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); sale, distribution or possession of prescription drugs without prescription; and two counts of violation of uniform controlled dangerous substances law in a drug-free zone.
- LAURA JANE REED: 27, of the 300 block of La. 96, Broussard. She was booked on criminal trespass and four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JERAMI SEGURA: 25, of the 4600 block of Waguespack Road, New Iberia. He was booked on six counts of simple burglary.
- SHIRIKIA SIAS: 21, of the 900 block of West South First, Rayne. She was booked on three counts for Acadia Parish.
- CHRISTOPHER JOHN SUIRE: 31, of the 11904 block of Farmer Road, Kaplan. He was booked on shoplifting; theft under $100; and warrant/bench warrant.
- NICOLE JO THOMAS: 40, of the 100 block of Jerome Road, Lafayette. She was booked on felony theft.
- ALBERT J. TRAHAN JR.: 55, of the 100 block of Anderson Circle, Scott. He was booked on two counts of knowledge with intent to possess schedule II drugs unless prescribed; municipal purposes; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); and residential parking permit violation.
- MELINDA WATTS: 47, of the 11222 block of Section Street, Port Allen. She was booked on hold for court and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- TIMOTHY CARNELL WESSINGER: 27, of the 100 block of General Macauthur, Lafayette. He was booked on forgery.