A jailer found a dead inmate in a jailhouse bunk Saturday morning at the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center in Centerville, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Foul play is not suspected in the death of the man, whose name was not released pending notification of his family, said Traci Landry, public information officer.
The jailer was making a count in a dorm when he found the unresponsive inmate. Despite the efforts of the medical staff and Acadian Ambulance, the inmate was pronounced dead at 8 a.m.
An investigation is underway, which is standard procedure, the release says.
Landry said no additional information will be available until Monday.
Driver killed after losing control of SUV
An unrestrained Opelousas driver died Friday night when he lost control of his Ford Explorer and hit several objects before he was thrown from his SUV.
Nicholas Lafleur, 28, was heading north on La. 105 south of Krotz Springs in St. Landry Parish when he lost control of his 2000 Explorer, State Police Master Trooper Brooks David said in a news release.
The SUV veered off the road and into a ditch before hitting a hurricane fence and metal post, ejecting Lafleur.
He died at the scene.
Alcohol is suspected as a factor, the release says. Toxicology samples were taken for analysis.
St. Martinville woman killed in Lafayette crash
A St. Martinville woman was killed early Saturday morning when her car suddenly veered off Southwest Evangeline Thruway and crashed into a traffic pole, Lafayette police said .
Tashawn Williams, 26, was headed south about 2:30 a.m. when she lost control of the car for unknown reasons in the 2000 block of Southwest Evangeline Thruway, said Cpl. Paul Mouton, a Lafayette police spokesman.
Williams was pronounced dead at the scene. The crash is still being investigated, Mouton added.
Second man arrested in car burglaries
A second suspect wanted in a string of car burglaries in Broussard has been arrested, authorities said.
Kale Mitchell, 21, of New Iberia, was arrested Friday by the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office and booked on six counts of burglary and one count of criminal damage to property, police said.
Police say they received a call Wednesday night about a car burglary in progress in the Ridge View neighborhood and, when they responded, were able to locate the suspect’s vehicle in the area.
Jerami Segura, 25, was arrested earlier and booked into the Lafayette Parish jail on six counts of burglary. All items stolen were returned to the victims.
Investigators say Mitchell was caught on video with a gun believed to have been stolen from one of the vehicles.
Arrests posted Oct. 25, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s office website:
- ZACHARY JAMES ADKINS: 19, of the 1700 block of Eraste Landry Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and wearing of hoods or masks.
- DELORES M. ALLEMAN: 53, of the 300 block of Pecan Grove Road, Scott. She was booked on criminal trespass; three counts of fugitive; theft under $100; and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- NATHAN BATISTE: 21, of the 100 block of Hebert Road, Lafayette. He was booked on for Vermilion Parish and two counts of fugitive.
- ANNIE M. CASTILLO: 24, of the 1200 block of North Hebert, Breaux Bridge. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant and fugitive.
- JACOB JAMES CELESTINE: 26, of the 600 block of Colorado Road, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant and fugitive.
- HAYDEN CONNOR CRAWFORD: 23, of the 100 block of Endfield Circle, Lafayette. He was booked on careless operation; felony possession of marijuana; and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- CHAD MICHAEL DENNY: 42, of the 200 block of Bopamo Lane, Duson. He was booked on hold for the Department of Corrections.
- JESSIE DUBOIS: 31, of the 71283 block of Hwy. 696, Kaplan. She was booked on simple battery and felony theft of goods.
- KELISHA KENYADA FRANCIS: 29, of the 1000 block of E. Simcoe Street, Lafayette. She was booked on simple battery.
- MICHAEL GABRIEL: 21, of the 300 block of N. Lumbar Street, New Iberia. He was booked on possession of marijuana.
- CODY CALVERT HARRIS: 26, of the 900 block of Summerbreeze, Baton Rouge. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- BRIANCA A. HELAIRE: 22, of the 1500 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. She was booked on simple battery.
- CHRISTOPHER JUD HUDSON: 30, of the 100 block of Roy, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for the Department of Corrections.
- ANTWAIN L. KEYES: 25, of the 600 block of Evangeline Street, Lafayette. He was booked on aggravated assault; two counts of fugitive; and five counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- TIFFANY LAJUANIE: 38, homeless, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; no driver’s license in possession; and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- DEVIN MICHAEL LANCLOS: 25, of the 400 block of Pecan Grove Road, Scott. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
- DARRELL WAYNE LATIN: 50, of the 600 block of W. Pulford, Opelousas. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- BENJAMIN LAVERGNE: 24, of the 2700 block of Hwy 743, Opelousas. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and misdemeanor hit-and-run driving.
- SHELTON PAUL LEBLANC JR.: 42, of the 200 block of Sampson Street, Lafayette. He was booked on felony theft and criminal trespass.
- IRVIN MALVEAUX JR.: 54, of the 2000 block of Denais Road, Duson. He was booked on prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- ANTHONY PINEDA: 18, of the 300 block of S. Landry, New Iberia. He was booked on fugitive.
- COREY JAMES RICHARD: 40, of the 100 block of Springfield, Carencro. He was booked on felony theft and criminal trespass.
- COLEY DEANGELO RIDEAUX: 32, of the 100 block of Smith Lane, Grand Coteau. He was booked on hold for St. Landry.
- TIMOTHY TRAHAN: 43, of the 700 block of Canberra, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor violation of protective orders.
- QUINTON WATTS: 26, of the 200 block of Chag Street, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- RAHSAAN OMAR YOUNG: 34, of the 900 block of Priscilla Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery and simple criminal damage to property.