OPELOUSAS — St. Landry Parish investigators are awaiting the results of an autopsy that could explain why a man died last week as they say he wielded a cane knife and attacked a woman in her home.
Sheriff Bobby Guidroz said Monday that Phillip Manuel, 52, of Opelousas, died early Thursday after he broke into a Story Lane home and attacked the woman as she slept.
The victim, who was not identified, is in stable condition and recovering from her wounds, Guidroz said.
Guidroz said the victim reported the attack at 1:38 a.m. Thursday.
“The victim advised detectives that she was awakened by a (man) attacking her with a cane knife,” Guidroz said. “While the victim was trying to escape, the suspect rolled over and became unconscious.”
The woman ran to a neighbor’s home to call police, who found Manuel lying face-down on the floor. He was pronounced dead at the scene, Guidroz said.
“There were no visible signs of trauma that would have caused his death,” he said.
Manuel’s body underwent an autopsy at the Lafayette Forensics Center later that day, Thursday.
Guidroz said the autopsy results are pending.
N.I. teen surrenders in shooting injury
A 17-year-old boy surrendered Monday in the shooting injury of a 20-year-old man Sunday night, the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office reported.
Jarrick Augustine Jr., of New Iberia, was booked Monday afternoon into the Iberia Parish Jail on a count of attempted second-degree murder.
The shooting occurred shortly after 9 p.m. Sunday in the 1100 block of Weeks Street, apparently a result of a fight between the two, according to a Sheriff’s Office news release.
Augustine fired a handgun more than one time in the direction of the man, who was later transported to an area hospital, the news release says.
The shooting remains under investigation.
Police: ‘Huffing’ suspect busted in mausoleum
SCOTT — Scott police discovered a man unconscious Saturday in a cemetery mausoleum on Old Spanish Trail, reportedly from inhaling the contents of an aerosol can in a practice called “huffing,” officials said.
Thorne Martin, 26, was found passed out with the bottle of canned air in his hand, Scott Police Chief Chad Leger said.
“Mr. Martin had previously been arrested after passing out while huffing canned air,” Leger said.
Leger was booked into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on one count each of disturbing the peace by public intoxication and abuse of toxic vapors, and on a warrant for failure to appear on for a possession of Schedule I narcotics charge.
Bond was set at $1,000.
Vermilion trying to ID two burned bodies
MAURICE — Vermilion Parish law enforcement and state fire investigators continued this week trying to identify two bodies found in a burning SUV last week south of Maurice.
Vermilion Parish Sheriff Mike Couvillon said in a release Monday an autopsy last week showed the bodies were of a male and female, but their identities and race remain unknown.
Investigators did find jewelry on the bodies.
On the male was a quarter-inch link-style bracelet, a 24-inch gold rope chain necklace with a cross and cubic zirconium studs, a 20-inch necklace, and a ball stud tongue piercing, Couvillon said.
The man also wore Adidas Spring Blade tennis shoes, size 10, he said.
The female wore an “I Love You More” bangle bracelet, Couvillon said.
Deputies responded to a vehicle fire at 1 a.m. April 16 on Claude Road south of Maurice, finding the SUV fully engulfed.
Anyone with information is asked to call Sheriff’s Office detectives at (337) 898-4403.
Arrests posted April 21, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- JOSIAH ADAMS: 17, of the 200 block of Ned L. Broussard. He was booked on second-degree battery.
- KHIERRA ALEXANDER: 20, of the 200 block of Baxter Street, Lafayette. She was booked on aggravated battery.
- JOSE MANUEL BECERRA: 35, of the 300 block of Spruce Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- LACEY BEGNAUD: 18, of the 200 block of Doc Duhon Street, Lafayette. She was booked on disturbing the peace and simple battery.
- KENNETH RAY BOURGEOIS: 27, of the 400 block of Pecan Grove, Scott. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- SHAWN MICHAEL BOURQUE: 27, of the 1500 block of Dehart Drive, New Iberia. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and improper lane change.
- VANERI CEASAR: 22, of the 1300 block of West Dean, Eunice. He was booked on resisting an officer and disturbing the peace.
- ANNIE TERESA DOMINGUE: 19, of the 600 block of Lafayette Street, Lafayette. She was booked on unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- SARA ELIZABETH HAIL: 28, of the 1300 block of Guillot Road, Youngsville. She was booked on shoplifting.
- JACOBY JOUBERT: 23, of the 300 block of West Carrier Street, Washington. He was booked on disturbing the peace, entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and resisting an officer.
- WILLIE LAFLEUR: 29, of the 300 block of Fourth Street, Youngsville. He was booked on aggravated assault, criminal mischief and false imprisonment.
- SCOTT P. LEGER: 29, of the 400 block of Steeplechase Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace, self-mutilation by a prisoner and two counts of simple battery.
- ROSS FITZGERALD LEOPOLD: 32, of the 1300 block of Roper Drive, Scott. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- RENEE M. MONCEAUX: 27, of the 2400 block of Riceland Road, Duson. She was booked on aggravated battery.
- SEAN DAVID MONROE: 25, of the 100 block of Normand Road, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- DANARIUS JENAE MORRISON: 22, of the 100 block of Nanoke Lane, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- RONALD JAMES PERRAULT: 45, of the 200 block of Lindsey Circle, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- JEFFERY KYLE REEVE: 37, of the 301 block of Stutes Road, Duson. He was booked on unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling and resisting an officer.
- NATALIE MARIE SONNIER: 33, of the 200 block of Landmark Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless driving.
- JACOBY JAMES ST. JULIEN: 28, of the 200 block of Beau Vassin, Carencro. He was booked on resisting an officer.
- ANDREW MAURICE WATSON: 21, of the 600 block of Madeline Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.