A Lafayette woman and her two young children lost their possessions Friday after an electric cord sparked a blaze inside her apartment and damaged an adjacent apartment.

Neighbors who smelled smoke coming from the apartment reported the fire around 6:46 a.m., and firefighters who arrived on scene found heavy smoke and flames coming from the unit, said Alton Trahan, Lafayette Fire Department spokesman. Firefighters extinguished the fire within 15 minutes, but it had already destroyed everything in the apartment and caused smoke damage inside the apartment next door.

Investigators determined the fire started behind a living-room sofa after the window air-conditioning unit’s electric cord faulted and ignited the curtains and the back of the sofa, Trahan said.

The woman and her two children, ages 1 and 4 years old, had left home about 30 minutes before the fire, Trahan said. The fire was ruled an accident.