A Friday afternoon fire at a downtown Lafayette apartment complex likely was caused by an improperly trashed lit cigarette, according to the Lafayette Fire Department.

Firefighters arrived at Uptown Lofts at 519 S. Pierce St. around 4 p.m. to find smoke coming from an apartment’s trash compactor, spokesman Alton Trahan said.

The smoke caused the room’s sprinkler to activate, suppressing the fire before firefighters could remove the metal trash bin with burning materials inside, Trahan said.

The building did not sustain fire damage, but occupants were evacuated while firefighters investigated the smoke’s origin.

Investigators ruled the fire an accident.