A plastic container filled with oily rags caused an early Tuesday morning fire inside a Popeyes fried chicken restaurant in Lafayette, according to the Lafayette Fire Department.

An employee arriving to work around 6:30 a.m. called 911 after noticing heavy smoke coming from inside the building, said Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan.

Video cameras inside the business recorded the fire starting around 3 a.m. inside a trash can filled with old, oily rags, Trahan said.

Once the fire burned all the oil, the remains continued to smolder throughout the building in the 6800 block of Johnston Street, causing heavy soot deposits throughout the building.

The restaurant remained closed Tuesday because of the extent of damage caused by the fire.