CROWLEY — A candidate for Crowley police chief has been jailed for 90 days over not paying more than $11,000 in child support, according to KATC TV.
The Acadia Parish Clerk of Court’s Office said Bendell Hunter was ordered to serve 90 days in jail with no credit for time served and no credit for good behavior.
The judge ruled that Hunter will be released from jail before 90 days if he pays the $11,525 he owes in child support, according to the clerk’s office.
Hunter is one of three candidates vying for chief of police in Crowley. He’s running against Madeline Robinson Cronin and incumbent Police Chief K.P. Gibson.
Man jailed after failing to register as offender
ST. MARTINVILLE — A Breaux Bridge man was arrested Thursday for failing to register as a sex offender, authorities said.
Carlos Harris, 21, was booked into St. Martin Parish Correctional Center in lieu of a $10,000 bail, said Maj. Ginny Higgins, St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.
Abbeville man killed in motorcycle accident
LAFAYETTE — An Abbeville man died Thursday night after he was critically injured in a motorcycle accident earlier that morning.
A police officer came upon the accident about 1:13 a.m., after the 20-year-old man had been thrown from the motorcycle after he crashed it into a mailbox on Foreman Drive, said Cpl. Paul Mouton, spokesman with the Lafayette Police Department.
Traffic investigators asked anyone with information to contact the Lafayette Police Department at (337) 291-8600.
Man confesses to string of vehicle burglaries
BROUSSARD — A New Iberia man was arrested early Thursday morning after confessing to a string of vehicle burglaries in Broussard, authorities said.
Jerami Segura, 25, is accused of robbing six unlocked vehicles in four different subdivisions in Broussard, Police Chief Brannon Decou said. Police located him in the immediate area of the burglaries after a complainant gave a description of Segura and his vehicle, according to Decou.
The stolen goods were returned to their owners after they were found hidden in a dumpster, Decou said.
Segura was booked into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on six counts of burglary, Decou said, but noted police are still investigating whether other people were involved in the crimes.
Police search for armed man who robbed motel
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette police are looking for the armed man who robbed a motel and a game store Thursday afternoon, authorities said.
The first robbery happened about 1:53 p.m. at the Hampton Inn, 2144 W. Willow St., when the man brandished a handgun and demanded money after asking for a room rate, according to Cpl. Paul Mouton, Lafayette Police Department spokesman. The robber fled on foot after stealing an undisclosed amount of cash.
About half an hour later, a person believed to be the same man robbed the GameStop at 3211 Louisiana Ave., Mouton said.
The robber, who was captured on surveillance video, is described as a black man, wearing a light blue shirt and fishing hat.
Anyone with information may call Lafayette Police or Crime Stoppers tip line at (337) 232-TIPS.
Arrests posted Oct. 23, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- JENNIFER ARDOIN: 32, of the 3700 block of Landry Road, Scott. She was booked on two counts of misdemeanor theft.
- PAULA BILLIOT: 46, of the 1100 block of Prairie Highway, St. Martinville. She was booked on two counts of felony theft.
- HARLEY MARIE BONIN: 23, of the 1000 block of Patin Street, Breaux Bridge. She was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- MARY ELAINE BOTTS: 22, of the 400 block of East Vermilion Street, Lafayette. She was booked on possession of marijuana and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- ALEXIS M. BROUSSARD: 18, of the 4200 block of Avery Island Road, New Iberia. She was booked on simple burglary.
- ROBIN LYNETTE CLARK: 25, of the 700 block of Arthure Road, Shreveport. She was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- THOMAS HORACE EAGLIN JR.: 28, of the 1000 block of 9th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary.
- BRIGETTE ANNETTE FILS: 53, of the 100 block of Warrant Road, Lafayette. She was booked on fugitive, unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling and a warrant/bench warrant.
- MARTAVIUS FRANCIS: 23, of the 600 block of South Magnolia Street, Lafayette. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- HAROLD LEE FRANCIS: 52, of the 1100 block of Peach Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- BRADEN GRINNEL: 22, of the 80200 block of Rollo Road, Bush. He was booked on headlights, misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and speeding 11 to 15.
- JOHN HARMON: 26, of the 700 block of Plum Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor illegal possession of stolen things.
- TREVOR THADDEUS HARVEY: 38, of the 100 block of East Foch Street, Lafayette. He was booked on careless operation, misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and no license plate.
- JEROME JACKSON: 36, of the 900 block of North St. Antoine, Lafayette. He was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden.
- JAMES KENDALL: 32, of the 1000 block of Alexander Road, St. Martinville. He was booked on aggravated battery.
- GYPSY LAVERGNE: 39, no address given, Lafayette. She was booked on appearing in an intoxicated condition, two counts of misdemeanor battery of a police officer and resisting a police officer with force or violence.
- ISIS LIVINGS: 19, of the 500 block of 12th Street, Lafayette. She was booked on resisting an officer and four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JEREMY PORTER: 18, of the 100 block of South June Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for court.
- TEQUILA RANDALL: 20, of the 200 block of Allison Street, Lafayette. She was booked on simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling.
- MICHAEL KEITH RICHARD: 45, of the 200 block of Mudd Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- BRIAN LEE ROMERO: 47, of the 200 block of Felicie Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on felony possession of marijuana and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- BRIAN DALE ROYER: 48, of the 100 block of Chickamagua Avenue, Broussard. He was booked on felony domestic abuse child endangerment.
- TYRONE ANTHONY SHELVIN: 28, of the 300 block of Doc Duhon Road, Lafayette. He was booked on unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- DEONDRA LYNN SMITH: 22, of the 90 block of North Lukes Street, Lafayette. She was booked on felony theft.
- RONALD TAYLOR: 18, of the 400 block of Hilda Street, Lafayette. He was booked on possession of a firearm or carrying a concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies and aggravated assault.
- MARQUES CAMILLE THIBODEAUX: 31, of the 1500 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- JOSHUA MICHAEL TRAHAN: 29, of the 200 block of Mary Street, Broussard. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
- ANGELA F. VIDRINE: 44, of the 300 block of Calypso Lane, Lafayette. She was booked on municipal purposes.
- KAYLA WALTERS: 24, of the 200 block of Kim Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on not having a driver’s license and residential parking permit violation.