Acadiana Crime Blotter for June 13, 2016 _lowres

Photo provided by Scott Fire Department -- The Scott Fire Department responded to a residential fire at 211 Mill St on Saturday evening.

A mobile home was destroyed Saturday evening in a fire sparked by a malfunctioning extension cord, Fire Chief Chad Sonnier said.

Firefighters were called to 2211 Mills St. shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday and found the trailer engulfed in flames, Sonnier said in a news release. An extension cord malfunctioned and caught a sofa on fire, he said.

The homeowner had been asleep and woke up when he realized the air conditioner had stopped working, Sonnier said. The homeowner received minor burns on his shoulder when he exited the trailer, and he was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Two cats inside the trailer were unable to escape and died, Sonnier said, and two nearby mobile homes received minor heat damage.