Shaqueta McDade, the mother of four young children who perished in a 2012 blaze after the kids were left home alone, has been sentenced on four counts of negligent homicide.
Police have said she was at a Church Point nightclub at the time.
McDade, 26, of Rayne, waived her right to a jury trial and pleaded no contest. Fifteenth Judicial District Judge Kristian Earles sentenced McDade to four consecutive five-year sentences, but suspended the final 12 years of the 20-year term. The judge ordered the remaining eight years served without eligibility for parole.
Jamari McDade, 8, Amous Mouton Jr., 7, LaShay McDade, 5, and Brian Steiner, 2, died in the April 22, 2012, blaze despite efforts by neighbors to rescue them. The intense heat prevented them from entering the mobile home, which was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.
McDade’s older child, a fifth-grader, was staying with relatives at the time of the blaze, which occurred shortly before midnight.
McDade wept openly in the courtroom as one of Jamari’s teachers recited a poem he had written. The poem, which began “I am Jamari,” spoke of his wish to “ride a dirt bike” and to “go to college.”
The defense called McDade’s boyfriend, mother and grandmother to the stand prior to sentencing and all asked the judge for leniency. McDade’s mother said her daughter is a “different person” since the fire and categorized the prosecution’s case as “lies.”
But neighbors said they had reported to Rayne Police other instances of McDade’s children being left unattended. The 2-year-old at one time had been witnessed walking the street alone.
Lafayette man booked in fatal July shooting
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette police Tuesday booked a man suspected of killing another man in late July by shooting him in the lower stomach during an argument.
Darrell Shelvin, 23, was booked into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on one count of second-degree murder.
Cpl. Paul Mouton said detectives received a tip Tuesday through Crime Stoppers and later located Shelvin in the 1000 block of St. Charles Street in Lafayette. Shelvin surrendered without a fight, Mouton said.
Shelvin is accused of killing a 37-year-old man July 28 in the 500 block of East Foch Street. The victim, who has not been identified, died at a local hospital.
Woman accused of neglect, exploitation
MORGAN CITY — A 22-year-old Morgan City woman was booked Monday on suspicion she neglected to give a disabled woman water and food, and stole thousands of dollars from her through bank card theft.
Bethany R. Daigle was booked on one count each of cruelty to the infirm, exploitation of the infirm and unauthorized use of an access card, Morgan City Police Capt. James Blair said.
The investigation began in January, when the 54-year-old victim, who was being cared for by Daigle, was found “in a severely malnourished and dehydrated condition,” Blair said in a news release.
“The living conditions were found to be unsanitary and unclean as if no assistance was provided for the victim’s care,” Blair said. “The victim ultimately received the proper care and medical treatment after the incident was discovered.”
Blair said detectives discovered Daigle had used the woman’s bank card to steal $2,835.
An investigation continues, and detectives expect to make more arrests, he said.
New Iberia has three robberies in four hours
NEW IBERIA — Iberia Parish detectives are investigating three armed robberies in New Iberia that occurred between midnight and 4 a.m. Tuesday.
Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a robbery at 12:45 a.m. in the 2300 block of Railroad Road where a man said he was riding with two other males when they ordered him out of the car at gunpoint, then took his cellphone, cash and clothes, sheriff’s Lt. Richard Fleming said.
The victim said the robbers were two white males who sped off in a black Toyota Corolla. Fleming did not indicate if the victim knew his assailants.
Almost three hours later, a woman in a home in the 800 block of Jane Street called deputies about a home invasion. She told detectives two armed men broke into her home at 3:40 a.m. and took her money, Fleming said.
At 4 a.m., deputies were called to the Penny Wise Convenience Store in the 1600 block of Jane Street where a handgun-toting male stole an unknown amount of money.
A store clerk described the bandit as a black man wearing a black hoodie, blue boxer shorts, black socks with no shoes and a white cloth covering his face, Fleming said.
There were no injuries reported in the robberies, he said.
Anyone with information is asked to call detectives at (337) 369-3711.
Arrests posted Aug. 5, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- GARY ABRAM: 34, of the 1200 block of Hiram Road, Lawerenceville, Georgia. He was booked on two counts for St. Martin Parish.
- DWAYNE LEANTHONY BATISTE: 22, of the 100 block of Friendship Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on felony distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics.
- PAUL BLANK: 35, of the 700 block of Magnolia Drive, Jennings. He was booked on illegal carrying and discharge of weapons.
- JOSHUA ASHTON BREAUX: 22, of the 2200 block of Hunter Drive, New Iberia. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- SY BROUSSARD: 43, of the 600 block of South Kibbe Street, Erath. He was booked for Vermilion Parish; misdemeanor issuing worthless checks; misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle; and open container of alcohol in a vehicle.
- DENISE ANN BROUSSARD: 42, of the 200 block of Conrad Street, Lafayette. She was booked on felony theft.
- TYLER J. BROWN: 22, of the 100 block of East Martial Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- TONYA BUXTON: 22, of the 12331 block of Herbert Avenue, Breaux Bridge. She was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- DWAYNE AVERY DOMINGUE: 27, of the 200 block of Ave Marie Road, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- SCOTT ANTHONY EASTERLING: 27, of the 900 block of Golden Grain Road, Rayne. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; flight from an officer; general speed law; and resisting an officer.
- DUSTIN EATON: 30, of the 11035 block of Shoecreek Street, Baton Rouge. He was booked on careless operation; misdemeanor hit-and-run driving; and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- ROBERT WAYNE FRITZ JR.: 40, of the 800 block of Clarence Cormier Road, Carencro. He was booked on felony failure to pay child support obligation.
- STEVE RANDOLPH GEORGE: 35, of the 1100 block of Surrey, Lafayette. He was booked on possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies.
- ROY GOBERT JR.: 56, of the 100 block of Carson Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on municipal purposes.
- MICHAEL SEAN GOFF: 27, of the 200 block of Amite Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on having no safety belt and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- MAX JAMES: 30, of the 1400 block of Front Street, Morgan City. He was booked on hold for the department of corrections.
- D’ANDRE JONES: 18, of the 300 block of Walter Drive, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor unauthorized use of a vehicle.
- BRYAN KEMP: 30, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for the Department of Corrections.
- ALVIN JACKSON KENNEDY II: 35, of the 500 block of Ribbon Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- HANK LANDRY: 37, of the 1300 block of St. Louis Street, Scott. He was booked on failure of registered sex offender to notify law enforcement of change of address after vacating residence.
- ISAIAH LEDET: 24, of the 100 block of Wilshire Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on failure to secure a driver’s license.
- TRAVIS LEE: 41, of the 1911 block of Smede Highway, St. Martinville. He was booked on hold for the Department of Corrections.
- RYAN SHAQUILLE LEVY: 20, of the 700 block of South Louisiana Street, Abbeville. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- ZAKEEYAN A. MECHE: 25, of the 100 block of Kathy Meadows Lane, Crowley. She was booked on resisting an officer; shoplifting; and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JAMES KIRK MILLER: 38, of the 100 block of Barcelona Street, Lafayette. He was booked on receiving stolen things.
- CLIFFORD JOSEPH MYERS III: 29, of the 200 block of Viaulet Road, Youngsville. He was booked on carrying a weapon while committing or attempting to commit a crime or while in possession or during sale or distribution of a controlled substance; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; and speeding.
- RICHARD JOSEPH NAQUIN: 36, of the 100 block of Ramblewood Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- CHRISTOPHER NED: 18, of the 100 block of Natalie Street, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive and shoplifting.
- JUSTIN OUGEL: 28, of the 1200 block of Robley Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- EUGENE PATTERSON: 53, of the 400 block of Heidi, Scott. He was booked on four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- PAUL PITTMAN: 37, of the 200 block of Pear Street, Dequincy. He was booked on hold for court.
- JAMARCUS LAMAR POYDRAS: 20, of the 100 block of Elliot Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of contributing to the delinquency of juveniles; felony unauthorized use of a vehicle; and five counts of simple burglary.
- CHARLIE WALKER SCOTT: 51, of the 600 block of North Donmoor Avenue, Baton Rouge. He was booked on simple battery.
Lane J. Tylock: 34, of the 100 block of Coulee Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on felony theft.
Justin Zeno: 25, of the 4000 block of West Walton, Lake Charles. He was booked on hold for the Department of Corrections..
Editor’s note: This article was changed on Aug. 6, 2014, to correctly attribute quotes on an arrest in Morgan City to Morgan City Capt. James Blair.