A dog died in a house fire in Ville Platte on Saturday, two days after she alerted the family to another fire in the house, likely saving the family’s lives, the homeowner said.
Kevin Argetsinger, the homeowner, said Saturday that he believed someone was trying to burn down his house after he found fires set in his garage Thursday and Friday, according to KATC-TV.
He said the fires had been set near gasoline tanks in his garage.
His dog alerted the family Thursday night and Argetsinger said the dog may have saved their lives.
“I don’t know if we would have gotten out,” Argetsinger said. “Good thing I had my dog.”
On Friday, Argetsinger’s brother put out another garage fire with an extinguisher.
Argetsinger said his dog was killed Saturday night in another fire.
The Ville Platte Fire Department is investigating the fires.
Motorcycle wreck kills Lake Charles man
A Lake Charles man is dead after a motorcycle crash Saturday on Red Davis McCallister Road in Calcasieu Parish, according to KATC-TV in Lafayette.
The motorcycle of Jon M. Daigle, 35, ran off the side of the road while he was traveling fast, went into a ditch on the south side of the road and hit an embankment, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Kim Myers said.
The collision threw Daigle from the motorcycle, Myers said. He was wearing a helmet, but it was not properly secured, Myers said.
The Calcaiseu Parish Coroner’s Office pronounced him dead at the scene.
Toxicology samples have been submitted to the State Crime lab for testing, Myers said.
Arrests posted May 3, 2015, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office’s website:
- BUTISKA ANDERSON: 37, of the 300 block of Loire Street, Lafayette. She was booked on simple battery and simple criminal damage to property.
- JARVOSKI BATISTE: 21, of the 100 block of Talbert Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and resisting an officer.
- FERNANADO MONTEZ BEN: 35, of the 100 block of Harrison Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- MAX CHARLTON: 22, of the 500 block of Jefferson Street, Lafayette. He was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden and misdemeanor battery of a police officer.
- TYLER JOSEPH CORMIER: 20, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on five counts of fugitive and warrant/bench warrant.
- JACOBY JAMAL FRANCIS: 27, of the 100 block of Dorian Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on home invasion and misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- BRETT JAMES FREDERICK: 23, of the 3100 block of Oliva Road, New Iberia. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- BRAD HENRY FURMAN: 34, of the 200 block of Gumbo Road, Lafayette. He was booked on indecent behavior with juveniles.
- JOHN GRIFFIN: 55, of Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace, intoxication and fugitive.
- MARY HELEN HUNTER: 57, of the 1000 block of Priscilla Lane, Lafayette. She was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ASHLEY JONES: 29, of the 800 block of Martin Luther King Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on aggravated battery and fugitive.
- HOWELL FORD KEMP: 54, of the 100 block of Cedar Crest, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics.
- BROOKLYN ROBEN MATHEWS: 22, of the 519.5 block of South Orange Street, Lafayette. She was booked on disturbing the peace.
- NICHOLAS JAMES RIGGS: 23, of the 1200 block of Main Highway, Arnaudville. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- KADE M. THERIOT: 28, of the 600 block of Parkway Drive, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- PAMELA TIGNOR: 45, of the 400 block of Magnolia Avenue, New Iberia. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant.