The roommate of a child’s caregiver was arrested Tuesday, accused of negligent actions that left a 2-year-old free to walk out of the house and on to traffic-heavy Foreman Drive, officials said.
Jenika Brooks, of Lafayette, faces one count of child desertion for allegedly leaving for work without making sure her roommate, the child’s caretaker, was awake to watch over the child, Lafayette Police Cpl. Nicole Benoit said.
Brooks was home at the residence in the 300 block of Sunny Lane when the girl’s father dropped off his daughter earlier on Tuesday morning, Benoit said.
“The child was able to open the door, leave the residence and travel to the 400 block of Foreman Drive,” Benoit said.
The girl was unharmed and returned to her father, she said.
Man killed in dump truck accident
A 56-year-old Lafayette man walking behind a dump truck was killed Monday when the truck hit him as it was backing up, officials said.
Douglas W. Perroncel walked behind the truck on a lot in the 2200 block of Cameron Street about 3:30 p.m. and was hit by the bumper, Lafayette Police Cpl. Nicole Benoit said.
Investigators do not know why Perroncel walked behind the truck, Benoit said in a news release.
Perroncel was transported to a hospital and pronounced dead.
Police have not issued citations in a case that remains open.
Long-submerged car discovered in river
A car discovered by a boater at the bottom of the Vermilion River will remain at the bottom of the river, or at least for now, authorities say.
Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Craig Stansbury said a boater saw the submerged car on his sonar while on the river Tuesday and a diver with the Sheriff’s Office retrieved the license plate from the vehicle.
David Cheramie, chief excutive officer of the Bayou Vermilion District, said the vehicle appears to have been in the water for about 20 years.
“The first priority is to run the plates to see if they can identify the car and see if there is a missing person or stolen car associated with that number,” said Cheramie.
The incident remains under investigation.
Deputies arrest two in shooting incident
An 18-year-old Lafayette man and a juvenile were each booked on two counts of attempted second-degree murder in a shooting Monday in the Cecilia area, according to the St. Marin Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies responded to reports about 5 p.m. Monday that two male suspects had fired shots at a vehicle being occupied by two people as the vehicle was driving away from a residence.
Following an investigation, warrants were issued for the two suspects, both of whom were arrested without incident early Tuesday, deputies reported.
Carl Noel, 18, of Lafayette, was booked into the St. Martin Parish Correctional Center, where he is being held on $500,000 bond. The juvenile, whose age was not provided, was being held in the Lafayette Detention Center.
Arrests posted Aug. 26, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- EUGENA MARIE ARCENEAUX: 29, of the 1800 block of E. Simcoe Street, Lafayette. She was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ANTONIO ASHWORTH: 37, of the 800 block of King Street, Deridder. He was booked on warrant for Beauregard Parish.
- BRYSON BROUSSARD: 23, of the 100 block of Boulet Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic-abuse child endangerment.
- KEYSHA NICOLE CHAVEZ: 27, of the 100 block of Larue Cannes Street, Duson. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- TYLER CLARK: 21, of the 600 block of Golden Grain, Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and no driver license in possession.
- STEVEN DUGAS: 28, of the 100 block of Miggy Lane, Baldwin. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana and resisting an officer.
- DASHAMMON FIGARO: 23, of the 200 block of Crestview Street, Lafayette. He was booked on soliciting for prostitutes and possession of an unidentifiable firearm.
- AUSTIN GRAY: 19, of the 400 block of Maple, Lafayette. He was booked on careless operation; misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); and simple assault.
- LAURA GUIDRY: 28, of the 100 block of Limoges Street, Duson. She was booked on aggravated battery.
- MICHAEL HICKERSON: 50, of the 1400 block of Westgate, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- ALPHONZO JASON: 24, of the 1200 block of Inaclaire, Opelousas. He was booked on five counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DELANNAE RENEE JONES: 23, of the 1000 block of Knight Street, St. Martinville. She was booked on disturbing the peace.
- TREMAYNE JAMES LEBLANC: 24, of the 900 block of Hardgrave Street, Crowley. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- GABRIELLE LEGER: 23, of the 100 block of Denier Street, Lafayette. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- CARLOS LUEVANO: 25, of the 4000 block of Broadway Street, Houston, Texas. He was booked on obstruction of justice.
- CURTIS GERMAINE NOEL: 30, of the 100 block of Lisa Drive, Crowley. He was booked on misdemeanor illegal possession of stolen things and warrant/bench warrant.
- DEREK JOHN OZENE: 20, of the 200 block of Woodrow Street, Lafayette. He was booked on possession of marijuana.
- SHANNON LASHAWN PROVOST: 34, of the 100 block of Japonica Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on warrant for St. Martin Parish.
- LAMAR ROBERTSON: 21, of the 1100 block of Surrey Street, Lafayette. He was booked on probation violation.
- CAROLYN ANN SAVOY: 34, of the 400 block of Louveteau Road, Carencro. She was booked on shoplifting.
- KELLY PAUL SENEGAL: 43, of the 400 block of Joann Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant and misdemeanor theft of goods.
- QUENTON JAMES SMITH: 30, of the 200 block of Lodge Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on felony possession of marijuana; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); and warrant/bench warrant.
- JONATHAN P. SULDO: 31, of the 200 block of Settlers Trace, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- SHANNON LEE THIBODEAUX: 25, of the 600 block of Churchill Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of fugitive and warrant/bench warrant.
- JOSHUA TROSCLAIR: 22, of the 1000 block of Reno Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; obstruction of justice; resisting an officer; and warrant/bench warrant.
- RAYLAN JAMES VIDRINE: 53, of the 400 block of Tulane, Lafayette. He was booked on communicating of false information of planned arson; disturbing the peace; and improper conduct in city court.
- ANTONIO CLAY WASHINGTON: 24, of the 2800 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.