An Iberia Parish couple has donated bulletproof vests to dogs in the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office’s K-9 unit, according to KATC TV.
The two donors, Pat Frantz-Cole and Dione Cole, said a “love of animals” and compassion spurred them to donate the vests.
They also like helping out smaller law enforcement agencies whose budgets are tight.
“Oftentimes it’s dark. Oftentimes it’s enclosed areas where the perp is hiding, and so we just felt they needed as much protection as the human handlers,” Frantz-Cole told KATC TV.
Sheriff’s deputies were excited to receive the vests — the department could not have paid for them otherwise.
“This is going to assist the dogs in their day-to-day operations,” said Major Ryan Turner, a Sheriff’s Office spokesman. “They’re involved in building searches; they’re also involved in pursuits and apprehensions of felons. So this is a great benefit for our office.”
The dogs are also a part of deputies’ lives, since the dogs go home with the deputies after work is over.
The vests are originally from a nonprofit dedicated to protecting police dogs — Vested Interest in K9s Inc.
Arrests posted Nov. 9, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office’s website:
- JOHN GERALD ALLEN: 53, of the 300 block of Napoleon Road, Sunset. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- JARAI ANDRUS: 20, of the 200 block of Dejean Circle, Crowley. He was booked on five counts for Acadia Parish.
- DAVID MICHAEL AUBREY: 30, of the 1300 block of West University Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on aggravated battery; entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden; and misdemeanor theft.
- GEORGE BARRAS JR.: 22, of the 1400 block of West Willow Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden.
- TAJ BROUSSARD: 18, of the 100 block of Texas Street, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts for St. Mary Parish.
- ROBERT COOKE: 56, of the 400 block of Heidi Circle, Scott. He was booked for St. Charles Parish.
- JOSE ANGELO FELICIANO: 45, of the 1500 block of Louisisana Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary.
- MARY BELLE FELIX: 50, of the 100 block of Aimee Drive, Carencro. She was booked on unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- JOHN EDDIE GREEN JR.: 28, of the 300 block of East Alexander Street, Lafayette. He was booked on felony distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; misdemeanor theft of goods; possession with intent to distribute a Schedule II controlled dangerous substance; and transactions involving proceeds from drug offenses.
- JOSHUA BAILEY GREESON: 18, of the 100 block of North Arlington Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on underage driving under the influence and failure to obey traffic control.
- ANDREE HELEN GUIDRY: 28, of the 930 block of South Main Street, Breaux Bridge. She was booked on three counts of fugitive.
- CHRISTOPHER JOHN HOLLIER: 24, of the 100 block of Tideland Road, Broussard. He was booked on four counts of hold for St. Landry.
- AMANDA KLUTH: 28, of the 600 block of South Lake Circle, Youngsville. She was booked on two counts of disturbing the peace; misdemeanor battery of a police officer; public intimidation and retaliation; resisting a police officer with force or violence; and two counts of resisting an officer.
- MAXIMILAN ROBERT LAIRD: 61, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- KATIE DANIELLE MYERS: 27, of the 600 block of Southlake Circle, Youngsville. She was booked on resisting an officer and interfering with a law enforcement investigation.
- JERROYD ROME NIXON: 40, of the 200 block of Evangeline Thruway, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and sexual battery.
- TAYLOR B. PHILLIPS: 26, of the 100 block of South Myers Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on careless driving; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and not having a driver’s license.
- MICHAEL KEITH RICHARD: 45, of the 200 block of Ave Street, Lafayette. He was booked on parole violation.
- MITCHELL ROBERT THIBODEAUX: 18, of the 600 block of West Broussard, Lafayette. He was booked on unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and warrant/bench warrant.
- WILLIAM TERRY VANVOLKENBURG: 26, of the 400 block of Crest Circle, Youngsville. He was booked on fugitive and five counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DEQUANTA ROLAND ZACHARY: 20, of the 600 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on fugitive.