As police continue working to identify who shot and injured a 17-year-old Northside High School student after a Friday night football game, administrators are working on plans to upgrade security measures at the Lafayette campus.

Along with increasing the number of officers present at the school’s football games from eight to as many as 12, the school plans to upgrade dated security cameras to high-definition systems, Lafayette Parish School System Superintendent Donald Aguillard said on Monday.

“There will be greater police presence at the remainder of the home football games. We’re also looking at providing increased lighting in the parking lots in the front area of Northside High School,” Aguillard said.

Investigators on Monday were continuing interviews and following leads in the shooting, encouraging students and the public to come forward with any information to the Police Department, to school administrators or through the anonymous Crime Stoppers tip line at (337) 232-8477.

Meanwhile, the Police Department also is assisting the school system by visiting each campus to assess whether police staffing for the games is adequate.

“Police officers will go and look at other high schools to make sure that there’s a good safety plan in place for football games,” Aguillard said.

The 17-year-old girl injured in the shooting had been released from the hospital on Monday afternoon, Lafayette Police Department spokesman Cpl. Paul Mouton said. Aguillard said she’s expected to soon return to school.

The girl and two of her friends, also teenage girls, were waiting for a ride near the school’s entrance at 301 Dunand St. when they heard gunshots and tried to flee the area, Mouton said.

A bullet pierced the girl’s right arm, and her leg was injured when an older-model, brown car hit her while fleeing from the scene, Mouton said. Police believe the two men inside that car were the ones spraying bullets.

Police do not believe the girl was an intentional target in the shooting, which also left bullet holes in a nearby school bus and an SUV parked in the lot.

“We just think she was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Mouton said.

Eight officers were working security at the game but were focused on the large crowd of people leaving the stadium, Mouton said.

It’s normal for students to wait in the front entrance of the school after football games to wait for rides, Aguillard said. The entrance is situated across from three residential roadways that feed into Moss Street, Willow Street and Louisiana Avenue.

Northside High School’s football team has four home games left in regular season play. The next is Oct. 2 versus Westgate High School.