LAFAYETTE — An Iowa man was sentenced to three years in federal prison Wednesday in the theft of more than $900,000 in aircraft parts from his employer, a Lake Charles business that repairs airplanes.
Robert Michal Styron, 38, also was ordered by U.S. District Judge Richard Haik to undergo three years of supervised release once he’s out of prison and to pay restitution of $930,401, U.S. Attorney Stephanie Finley said.
Styron pleaded guilty on July 11, 2013, to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud in the theft from Aeroframe Services LLC.
The case was investigated by the Lake Charles Police Department and the U.S. Secret Service.
Vermilion sheriff warns of phone scams
ABBEVILLE — Vermilion Parish authorities are warning local residents of a phone scam operating from Jamaica that nearly cost one resident $5,000.
The callers pose as family or friends needing money to get out jail, pay a house note before foreclosure or a hospital bill, or some other dire circumstance, Sheriff Mike Couvillon said Wednesday.
One resident reported getting a call from someone who identified himself as her grandson, saying he was in need of $5,000, Couvillon said in a news release.
“The scammer was banking on the grandmother’s love and concern (for) her grandson to outweigh her skepticism before she realized it was a scam,” he said.
After investigating, the caller’s 876 area code showed he was from Jamaica, the source of many scams in the past few years.
Couvillon said Vermilion residents are getting calls that begin, “Hi Grandma … Do you know who this is?” Then, the caller assumes the name mentioned by the unsuspecting resident.
Residents who receive the calls should not immediately act, “no matter how dramatic the story is,” Couvillon said. And, he added, don’t follow the instructions left by the caller to keep the phone call a secret.
“Don’t wire money, send a check or money order by overnight delivery or courier,” Couvillon said, but do contact police.
Lafayette police looking for armed bandit
LAFAYETTE — Police are searching for an armed robber who was wearing a black bandana over part of his face as he held up a convenience store on Eraste Landry Road early Wednesday, then fled in a late model silver Chevrolet Impala.
The robbery occurred in the 1800 block of Eraste Landry Road at around 1:35 a.m., Lafayette police Cpl. Paul Mouton said.
No one was injured.
A store employee told police the robber was a black man armed with a handgun and wearing a black shirt, blue jeans and a black bandana, Mouton said in a news release.
Anyone with information is asked to call Lafayette police at (337) 232-TIPS.
Arrests posted July 9, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- WAYLON O. BRIAN AMOS: 25, of the 400 block of Araundville Road, Carencro. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- MARK ANTHONY ANDERSON: 47, of the 4800 block of Ponderosa Street, Lake Charles. He was booked on two counts of hold for St. Landry Parish and six counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- TEDDY TERRILL ARVIE: 34, of the 1900 block of Lou Anna, Mamou. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- STEPHEN MICHAEL BOURQUE: 36, of the 100 block of Bristol Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on felony theft.
- ALONA BREAUX: 21, of the 900 block of Dulles Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on telephone communications, improper language, harassment and communicating false information of planned arson.
- JULIENNE C. CHEATUM: 35, of the 1100 block of Breaux Road, Lafayette. She was booked on two counts for St. Martin Parish.
- MALIK DAVIS: 18, of the 400 block of Cedar Crest Court, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive and felony theft.
- TOMMY JAMES DUGAS: 52, of the 100 block of Randy Road, Youngsville. He was booked on fugitive warrant.
- DARRELL JAKE DUPLECHIN: 26, of the 600 block of Eighth Street, Lafayette. He was booked on hold for court.
- MATTHEW FRENCH: 21, of the 100 block of North Roclay, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and speeding.
- KENEREIS DEMARCUS GEORGE: 28, of the 600 block of Orchid, Lafayette. He was booked on resisting an officer and disturbing the peace.
- JEFFERY LEE HENRY: 35, of the 100 block of Cypress Garden Street, St. Martinville. He was booked on having no safety belt and failure to secure a driver’s license.
- SHELLEY EVE JUMONVILLE: 30, of the 100 block of Burt Circle, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless operation.
- JENNIFER K. KROEGER: 33, of the 300 block of Cleveland Street, Lafayette. She was booked on disturbing the peace and criminal trespass.
- DEMARCUS LEDET: 22, of the 100 block of Sandro Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic-abuse child endangerment.
- RYAN MANDELL: 32, of the 100 block of La Rue Cannes, Duson. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ELGIN MEAUX: 23, of the 100 block of Nyoka Court, Lafayette. He was booked on possession of marijuana.
- ELDRIDGE EUGENE MITCHELL III: 40, of the 6900 block of Johnston Street, Lafayette. He was booked on felony theft of goods.
- CHARLES JOSEPH MOUTON: 66, of the 100 block of Norman Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft, municipal purposes and shoplifting.
- MICHAEL JARQUAS MURPHY: 23, of the 900 block of East Vermilion Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden.
- BRANDY JEAN PATTERSON: 31, of the 300 block of East Lee Street, Broussard. She was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- LESLIE PRICE: 32, of the 200 block of Harper Road, Columbia. She was booked on fugitive and hold for court.
- WILLIAM RATCLIFF: 58, of North 17th Street, Baton Rouge. He was booked on attempted theft of a motor vehicle, misdemeanor battery of a police officer and resisting a police officer with force or violence.
- KEN JOSEPH ROBERTSON: 43, of the 200 block of Seafood Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- LUKE MARTIN RODMAN: 48, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on simple assault.
- ASHLEY AUSTIN SMITH: 25, of the 200 block of Bradford Drive, Carencro. He was booked on hold for St. Landry Parish, resisting an officer and warrant/bench warrant.
- TARAUS CARDELL TAYLOR: 33, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
- PATRICK ALLEN TAYLOR: 18, of the 400 block of Guidry Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and simple burglary.
- ALAN R. THOMAS: 48, of the 200 block of Bradley Street, Scott. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- MICHAEL JEAN TRAHAN: 40, of the 800 block of Cajundome Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and felony illegal possession of stolen things.