State Police arrested a Kaplan man late Sunday in the hit-and-run death two weeks ago of a bicyclist on a road near Milton.
Fitzpatrick F. Doucette, 42, was driving his 1997 Lincoln when he hit Lon Lomas, who was peddling along La. 92 at Mermentau Road, State Police Trooper Brooks David said in a news release Monday.
Doucette was booked at 11:40 p.m. Sunday into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on one count each of negligent homicide, felony hit and run, driving under suspension and limitations on passing bicycles, David said.
State troopers, responding to the accident at 7:03 a.m. on July 7, found Lomas’ body and bike in a ditch that runs alongside La. 92. Lomas, 30, was a Youngsville resident.
Investigators believe Lomas was hit from behind.
David said Louisiana law states drivers must give bicyclists three feet of room when passing and should verify that it is safe before steering back into the lane.
Search in 11th day for missing jail trusty
A Lafayette Parish inmate participating in a rehabilitation program walked away from a job in Scott more than a week ago, and Sheriff’s Office deputies on Monday continued their search for him.
In a news release late Monday afternoon, Capt. Craig Stansbury said Damon Journet was taking part in the Lafayette Community Corrections Rehab Program on July 11 when he walked away at 10:30 a.m.
Journet had been in jail since Oct. 28, 2013, on one count of burglary and started taking part in the rehabilitation program in January, Stansbury said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at (337) 232-9211 or Lafayette Crime Stoppers (337) 232-TIPS.
Patterson man booked in fractured skull case
PATTERSON — A teenager was injured Saturday when he tried to intervene in a fight and was struck by a thrown vase that fractured his skull.
St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Charles Elmore, 38, who allegedly threw the vase in a fight between him and a woman and then struck the teenage boy who was trying to break up the fight, sheriff’s spokeswoman Traci Landry said.
Elmore was booked into the Law Enforcement Center in Centerville on one count of aggravated second-degree battery at 4:55 a.m. Saturday. He was being held without bail, Landry said.
Elmore was arrested at Teche Regional Medical Center, where the juvenile was brought for medical attention. The victim’s medical condition was unknown Monday afternoon.
Arrests posted July 21, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- ANTONIO JAMES ARCENEAUX: 18, of the 700 block of South Sterling Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary.
- BRANDON DEREK ARDOIN: 25, of the 300 block of Ole Colony Road, Lafayette. He was booked on safety belt violation and illegal possession of stolen firearms.
- TIMOTHY CAMPBELL: 37, of the 100 block of Ridge Road, Lafayette. He was booked on four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- MISTY CORMIER: 35, of the 300 block of Rue Chartres Road, Lafayette. She was booked on failure to yield at a stop sign; improper lane change; and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- FITZPATRICK DOUCETTE: 42, of the 300 block of North Foot, Kaplan. He was booked on felony hit-and-run driving; further limitations on passing; negligent homicide; and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- JOHN DUDDING: 25, of the 16024 block of Clint Road, Rayne. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offenses; and speeding in a school zone.
- JORDAN MICHAEL FIGARO: 26, of the 600 block of Orchid Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ROLANDO FUNEZ: 32, of West Congress Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- JACOBY CHARLES GEORGE: 30, of the 1400 block of 13th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; misdemeanor theft of goods; resisting a police officer with force or violence; and second-degree battery.
- LEON JOSEPH GLAUDE JR.: 36, of the 100 block of Conway Street, New Iberia. He was booked on unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DYLAN GOLDSMITH: 18, of the 800 block of South Orange Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary.
- JESSICA WHITE HOWELL: 46, of the 600 block of Marigny Street, Duson. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant and fugitive.
- MONKURVIS JAMES IRVIN: 20, of the 200 block of Alsandor Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics.
- FREDDIE KNIGHTON: 56, of the 11364 block of Collins Lane, Norwood. He was booked on two counts for East Feliciana Parish; public intimidation and retaliation; and violating a traffic signal.
- MARION JOE LEWIS JR.: 55, of the 100 block of Callais Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics and warrant/bench warrant.
- BRANDON MICHAEL MENARD: 19, of the 200 block of Lormand Drive, Scott. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- JOSEPH CLEMENT NOEL: 30, of the 100 block of Greek Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- PETER JOSEPH ONEZINE: 37, of the 100 block of Delores Street, Lafayette. He was booked on resisting an officer and felony possession of marijuana.
- AUSTIN RICHARD: 19, of 10 Hidden Hills, Arnaudville. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- JASON PAUL ROBINO: 20, of the 100 block of Alonda Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and disobeying a stop sign.
- IAN ROMERO: 21, of the 3800 block of Livingston Road, New Iberia. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- CLARENCE WILLIAMS: 40, of the 200 block of Loul Street, Broussard. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.