Authorities say grenade, other weapons found in search that forced temporary evacuation of Lafayette apartment complex _lowres


About two dozen people evacuated from a Guilbeau Road apartment complex in Lafayette were allowed to return home about 1 a.m. Wednesday after authorities removed at least one military-grade explosive from an accused shooter’s residence.

The Lafayette Fire Department assisted a bomb disposal unit from the U.S. Army base at Fort Polk in destroying a hand grenade from the home about 2 a.m. Wednesday off Lagneaux Road, Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan said.

Authorities executing a search warrant on the Bell Downs apartment of Jacob Daigle, 34, on Tuesday found “a large cache of weapons, including some they didn’t recognize,” Lafayette Police Department spokeswoman Cpl. Nicole Benoit said.

Daigle was accused of firing rounds outside of his apartment Monday night, which led authorities to search his home for the weapon on Tuesday afternoon and arrest him on a count of illegal discharge of a firearm.

The Fire Department’s hazardous materials unit was initially called in Tuesday afternoon, followed by State Police’s bomb squad and then the U.S. Army. Local authorities are required by law to contact military officials if military-grade weapons are located.

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also became involved in the investigation.

Benoit said she could not release information about the number and type of other weapons found at Daigle’s apartment, as the multiagency investigation is still underway.

However, she said, some of the weapons were seized as evidence.

Daigle was admitted to a Lafayette hospital after his arrest, but health care privacy laws prohibit authorities from discussing the nature of Daigle’s hospital admission, Benoit said.

He could face more counts in the situation, Benoit said, pending the results of the ongoing investigations.

Daigle pleaded no contest in 2010 to an aggravated assault with a firearm charge in 15th Judicial District Court, records show. He was sentenced to 90 days in parish jail, which was suspended, and one year of unsupervised probation.

Daigle also pleaded no contest to a 2007 charge of simple criminal damage to property. His 60-day jail sentence was suspended, and he was placed on one year of unsupervised probation.

Follow Lanie Lee Cook on Twitter, @lanieleecook, or call her at (337) 534-0825.