BROUSSARD — Police released the identities late Sunday of two brothers killed during the weekend in a fiery vehicle crash in a U.S. 90 construction zone.
Broussard Police Chief Brannon Decou said Sandeep Patel, 38, of Abbeville, and his brother Satyen Patel, 32, of India, were killed in the fire that consumed a 2011 Toyota Camry and forced back officers who attempted a rescue.
Sandeep Patel, the driver, showed no sign of life when officers arrived. His brother was alive, but his legs were pinned.
“Officers attempted to extinguish the fire with extinguishers before the Fire Department arrived but they were unable to even after using five fire extinguishers,” Decou said.
Decou said the accident began as a two-vehicle wreck at 3:25 a.m. Sunday, with the Toyota, traveling fast, on U.S. 90 and rear-ending a 2007 Ford F150 driven by Max Romero, of New Iberia near La. 92.
Romero told police he tried to follow the Toyota, but lost it.
Decou said officers responding to a report of a hit-and-run located the Toyota wrecked and smoking in a construction zone near Le Triomphe, a gated community off U.S. 90. Officers were trying to remove Satyen Patel when the flames erupted.
Officers later identified Romero as the second driver of the hit-and-run called in by a witness. Romero told police he didn’t see the Toyota crash, and the damage to his Ford was not enough to call police, Decou said.
Romero was cited for failure to report a crash and was released, Decou said.
The accident remains under investigation.
Morgan City man booked in child’s burns
OPELOUSAS — Deputies arrested a Morgan City man during the weekend for holding a toddler’s feet in scalding water, St. Landry Parish Sheriff’s Capt. Megan Vizena said Monday.
Theron Thomas, 34, 592½ Lawrence St., Morgan City, was booked Friday evening into the St. Landry Parish Jail on a count of second-degree cruelty to a juvenile.
The 2-year-old girl required surgery for her injuries, Vizena said in a news release.
Vizena said the girl was brought to a hospital emergency room March 4 with burns to both feet. The victim has since been released from the hospital.
“Investigators determined that Thomas was caring for the child at the time of the incident,” Vizena said, at a Beverly Road residence in Opelousas.
Thomas’ bond was set at $25,000, and he remains in jail.
Crash victim identified
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette police identified the man Monday who was killed Thursday night when he drove a Honda Accord into the rear of a westbound 18-wheeler on Interstate 10 in Lafayette.
Michael W. Bertoniere, 46, of Franklinton, was pronounced dead at the scene at mile marker 103 after the 11:20 p.m. wreck.
Lafayette police had withheld Bertoniere’s name while family members were being notified.
According to a release, the 18-wheeler’s driver noticed an impact at the rear of the truck, stopped to inspect his trailer and discovered the 2012 Honda beneath it.
The driver was not injured. The crash remains under investigation.
Arrests posted Feb. 10, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- FORREST LEE ALLEN: 59, of the 1100 block of St. Charles Street, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass.
- TYRON ARCENEAUX: 19, of the 100 block of Huron Street, Carencro. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics, entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden, misdemeanor possession of marijuana, resisting an officer and warrant/bench warrant.
- TRAVON BENJAMIN: 17, of the 400 block of Joan Street, Lafayette. He was booked on felony unauthorized use of a vehicle.
- JONAH BROUSSARD: 40, of the 500 block of North Hebert Street, Kaplan. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics.
- MICHAEL BRUNO: 32, of the 200 block of Braque Road, Carencro. He was booked on obstruction of court orders and disturbing the peace.
- KESLER DECUIR: 18, of the 200 block of Valley Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple robbery and simple battery.
- BENJAMIN C. DOLESE: 30, of the 1000 block of Bridgetowne Lane, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and failure to use turn signal.
- ROBIN MEL DOMINGUE: 38, of the 1300 block of St. Mary, Scott. She was booked on misdemeanor theft and warrant/bench warrant.
- WILBERT EARL DUNCANTELL: 48, of the 200 block of Maple Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- STEVEN PHILLIP EDWARDS: 28, of the 1000 block of Raymond Drive, Broussard. He was booked on flight from an officer, and aggravated flight from an officer.
- KALON SANCHEZ FRANK: 17, of the 1000 block of Camel Avenue, Ville Platte. He was booked on felony unauthorized use of a vehicle and resisting an officer.
- CHRISTINA FINESSE HEBERT: 22, of the 400 block of Martin Oak, Lafayette. She was booked on aggravated battery.
- TYDRICK LEWIS: 17, of the 800 block of Fifth Street, Duson. He was booked on disturbing the peace and two counts of fugitive.
- NICHOLAS QUINTON MATTHEWS: 22, of the 100 block of Brenda Street, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace and resisting an officer.
- CODY MILLER: 37, of the 1300 block of Reed Cemetery Road, Mamou. He was booked on expired motor vehicle inspect, misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated, open container of alcohol in a vehicle and residential parking permit violation.
- CODY WAYNE OLDS: 17, of the 300 block of Mill Pond Drive, Youngsville. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics, possession of marijuana and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- TREY JOSEPH PREJEAN: 20, of the 100 block of Kevin Drive, Duson. He was booked on simple burglary.
- KALEB SERAILLE: 18, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on felony unauthorized use of a vehicle, resisting an officer and simple criminal damage to property.
- CHRISTOPHER SHANE SONNIER: 24, of the 1000 block of Virgina Road, Church Point. He was booked on simple criminal damage to property.
- CHADWICK DEMOIAN-KEITH STEVENS: 24, of the 500 block of G Street, Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- ALEXANDRU TIBUH: 27, of North University Avenue, Carencro. He was booked on possession of marijuana and illegal use of controlled dangerous substances in the presence of persons under 17 years old.
- QUINTON SHONDREY WHITE: 40, of the 200 block of Vinemont Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on second-degree battery and false imprisonment.
- JOSHUA REAVES WILLIS: 21, of the 2100 block of Surrey Lane, Bossier City. He was booked on shoplifting.
- LATERRANCE ZENO: 20, Carencro. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.