Youngsville cyclist killed in hit-and-run accident
MILTON — A Youngsville man riding a bicycle east of Milton on Monday morning was struck and killed by an unknown driver who left the scene, State Police said.
Lon Lomas, 30, was riding east on La. 92 at the Mermentau Road intersection at 7:03 a.m. when he was hit, his body and bicycle thrown into a ditch. Lomas was pronounced dead at the scene, Master Trooper Brooks David said.
Troopers are asking anyone with information to contact Troop I at (337) 262-5880.
Lafayette man killed in single-vehicle crash
LAFAYETTE — A Lafayette man was killed in a single-vehicle accident Monday when his 1987 Ford pickup hit a tree and caught fire, State Police said.
Donald Griffin, 63, was driving east on La. 1252 at around 10 a.m. when he ran off the road and hit the tree. He was pronounced dead at the scene, Master Trooper Brooks David said.
It was unknown if Griffin was impaired and if he was wearing a seat belt, David said. Toxicology samples were sent to the State Police Crime Lab.
Wanted Lafayette man caught near Covington
A man wanted in Lafayette on counts of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated rape, home invasion and false imprisonment was arrested early Friday morning near Covington, a St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman said.
Jordan Carambat, 23, of Lafayette, was in a red Acura sedan that was stopped by deputies near Covington, spokeswoman Suzanne Carboni said.
Carambat was wanted by the Lafayette Police Department after his former girlfriend reported he had followed her home and forced his way into her apartment. Once there, Carambat refused to let her leave. He sexually assaulted her and tried to strangle her with a telephone cord before she lost consciousness, she told Lafayette police.
Carambat was booked into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center.
Arrests posted July 7, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- PATRICIA ANN ADAMS: 53, of the 1000 block of Alamo Street, Lake Charles. She was booked on felony theft.
- CYRUS JAMES BATISTE: 30, of the 200 block of Ryder Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule III narcotics; four counts of illegal use of controlled dangerous substances in the presence of persons under 17 years old; and possession of alcoholic beverages in a vehicle.
- JULES BELLARD: 70, of the 200 block of Gireer Road, Youngsville. He was booked on misdemeanor prostitution and fugitive.
- CHRISTOPHER DAVID BUCK: 19, of the 100 block of Matthews Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling.
- TARVIS JAKEEM COATES: 22, of the 700 block of East Vermillion Street, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace; obstructing public passages; and resisting an officer.
- LUKAS CHANTZ GARY: 19, of the 400 block of Rue Carnot, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- KEVIN GIBSON: 48, of the 1600 block of Lewis Street, Lafayette. He was booked on felony theft.
- GERALD JERMAINE HOPKINS: 33, of the 100 block of Barracks, Duson. He was booked on failure to secure a driver’s license; fugitive; resisting an officer; and speeding.
- DAMIEN JACKSON: 30, of the 100 block of Richard LP, Morrow. He was booked on two counts of fugitive; misdemeanor domestic-abuse child endangerment; resisting an officer; and simple battery.
- JARVIS DONTRELL KELSON: 39, of the 100 block of Rue Fontaine, Lafayette. He was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden.
- CLAIRE T. LANDRY: 33, of the 200 block of Countryview Drive, Youngsville. She was booked on two counts of distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- ERNESTO LOPEZ: 34, of the 200 block of John Wayne, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- TIMOTHY MCCRAW: 24, of the 100 block of Tanyan Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless operation.
- MICHAEL A. MILLER: 36, of the 300 block of Rucanard, Youngsville. He was booked on careless driving; failure to secure a driver’s license; and felony operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- RONALD JAMES ROMERO: 56, address unknown. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- BOBBY RAY STAPLETON: 36, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on emanation of excessive sound or noise.
- LARRY TAYLOR: 34, of the 100 block of Kentwood Drive, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- DANIEL LEE VICE: 28, of the 1000 block of Renaud Drive, Carencro. He was booked on simple burglary.