Wrong number: Call lands man in jail
BAYOU VISTA — A man who apparently wanted to buy synthetic marijuana grabbed his cellphone Wednesday afternoon and made a call to an unlikely drug supplier — a St. Mary Parish sheriff’s narcotics detective.
Purcell Gros, 39, was arrested on one count of attempted possession of synthetic canniboids. Gros was arrested along with Ashlyn Gros, 21, who was at Purcell Gros’ home at 165 Two Sisters Court in Bayou Vista when detectives arrived. Ashlyn Gros was booked on counts of possession of synthetic canniboids and drug paraphernalia, and misuse of toxic vapors, according to a release from Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Traci Landry.
“Detectives … received a phone call from Purcell Gros stating that he wanted to purchase synthetic marijuana. Gros was unaware that he was contacting narcotics detectives,” said Landry, who did not elaborate on the relationship between the Groses.
Ashlyn Gros, who was at Purcell Gros’ home when officers arrived, gave detectives permission to search her vehicle where they found rolling papers and synthetic marijuana, Landry said.
Lafayette man booked in child porn case
LAFAYETTE — Local, state and federal agents Thursday arrested a Lafayette man, booking the 48-year-old on suspicion he possessed and distributed child pornography.
Brien Whittle is accused of having more than 100 child pornography videos at his home that he allegedly released to the Internet, information State Police detectives gathered since the investigation began earlier this month, Trooper 1st Class Stephen Hammons said.
Whittle, whose street address was not immediately available, is being held at the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center, where no bond had been set as of mid-afternoon Thursday.
The investigation of Whittle continues, Hammons said in a news release.
The case is part of Operation Child Watch, an initiative to help prevent child sex abuse and to rescue the children who do fall victim. For more information on child predators, contact State Police Troop I at (337) 262-5880.
Woman pleads in assault case
CHARENTON — A Charenton woman pleaded guilty this week to hitting a Chitimacha Tribe member in the victim’s home and trying to steal his prescription pills in a September attack, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.
Tammy M. Krol, 42, pleaded guilty Tuesday to assault in U.S. District Court where Magistrate Judge C. Michael Hill did not set a sentencing date.
Krol faces up to a year in prison, a fine up to $100,000 and a year of supervised release for “assault by striking, beating or wounding in Indian Country,” U.S. Attorney Stephanie Finley said in a statement.
“Jurisdiction in Indian Country is based upon the unique sovereign relationship between the federal government and Indian tribes,” Finley said. “… The U.S. Attorney’s Office prosecutes cases arising in Indian Country involving felonies where either the defendant or the victim is an Indian or both the defendant and the victim are Indian.”
AG’s Office child porn investigation points to three Acadiana men
BATON ROUGE — Three Acadiana men were booked this week on counts of child pornography following investigations by the Louisiana Attorney General’s Office and area law enforcement agencies.
Adam Shilow, 33, of 210 S. Saint George St., Eunice, was picked up Tuesday on counts of indecent behavior with juveniles, producing child pornography, computer aided solicitation of a minor and unlawful use of social networking,” the Attorney General’s Office said in a prepared statement Thursday.
Shilow was booked into the St. Landry Parish Jail. If convicted Shilow faces up to 75 years in prison.
Also arrested Tuesday was Scott Paul Touchet, 40, of 3113 Lamas St., Erath.
Touchet was booked into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on 500 counts of possessing child pornography, for which he could be sentenced to 20 years in prison for each count.
The last arrest occurred Wednesday when 45-year-old Gilbert Dupre, of 104 Lovely Iris Lane, Duson, was booked on 40 counts of distributing child pornography. The maximum sentence on each count is 20 years in prison, the Attorney General’s Office said.
Arrests posted Feb. 13, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish sheriff’s website:
- TRIVINSKIEY ARDOIN: 40, of the 300 block of North Dossman Street, Ville Platte. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- WILSON BENOIT: 35, of the 200 block of Eddison Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts for St. Martin Parish.
- FREDERICK BENTON: 56, of the 100 block of South Chestnut Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- LISA A. BERARD: 45, of the 400 block of Row One Street, Lafayette. She was booked on careless driving; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and open container of alcohol in a vehicle.
- NICHOLAS BOUDREAUX: 30, of the 900 block of Langlinais Road, Youngsville. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- CELIA RAYE BRISSON: 28, of the 500 block of Emmelien Street, New Iberia. She was booked on five counts of misdemeanor theft.
- NAOMI M. COURVILLE: 36, of the 400 block of Bush Street, Morgan City. She was booked on two counts of misdemeanor issuing worthless checks.
- MICHEAL RYAN CROW: 27, of the 1700 block of Melder Road, Glenmora. He was booked on disturbing the peace (fighting); illegal possession of stolen firearms; and warrant/bench warrant.
- JOSHUA DELANEY: 32, of the 300 block of Robbie Street, Abbeville. He was booked on three counts of obtaining legend drugs by misrepresentation.
- HENRY J. DOTSON: 23, of the 800 block of Division Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and felony illegal possession of stolen things.
- TYLER JAMES ESCOYNE: 18, of the 1000 block of Eva Lane, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on disturbing the peace and aggravated assault.
- JIMMY RAY GABRIEL JR.: 37, of the 600 block of Alpearson, Lafayette. He was booked on improper turn - no accident and failure to secure a driver’s license.
- CHRISTOPHER GOTCH: 45, of the 100 block of North Pine Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- GERARD JOSEPH GREEN: 38, of the 800 block of West Alexander Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- BONNIE R. GRIFFIN: 28, of the 1100 block of Roper, Scott. She was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- MARCEL GUIDRY: 52, of the 400 block of St. John Street, Lafayette. He was booked on probation violation.
- DIMPLES ANDRE HALL: 18, of the 100 block of Van Buren, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive; sale, distribution or possession of prescription drugs without prescription; and theft under $100.
- GREGORY JAMES HEBERT: 20, of the 200 block of West Simcoe Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of municipal purposes.
- CHRISTOPHER HOWARD: 31, of the 1000 block of Cypremore Road, Franklin. He was booked on entry on or remaining in place.
- JOSHUA JOFFRION: 22, of the 1700 block of Eraste Landry Road, Lafayette. He was booked on possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- KENDRICK JOLIVETTE: 20, of the 100 block of Bobbie Lane, Sunset. He was booked on municipal purposes.
- TIMOTHY WAYNE KERRIGAN: 45, of the 200 block of St. Louis Street, Carencro. He was booked on two counts of fugitive and warrant/bench warrant.
- KERBERT LEWIS: 25, of the 100 block of Tyler Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on cr/possession with intent to distribute/counterfeit schedule I controlled dangerous substance and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- ERIC JEROME MELANCON: 22, of the 100 block of Windsor Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on felony distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); transactions involving proceeds from drug offenses; and violation of uniform controlled dangerous substances law in a drug-free zone.
- BRANDON MILLER: 32, of the 200 block of Oak Brook Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule III narcotics; and distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics.
- SPENCER ALEXANDER MITCHELL: 28, of the 400 block of Adolph Street, Delcambre. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- KELLY NELSON NORRIS: 31, of the 500 block of Sweetbriar, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant and fugitive.
- KATRINA MARIE PREJEAN: 36, of the 400 block of Heidi Circle, Scott. She was booked on fugitive.
- JOHN LEE SION: 31, of the 100 block of Aimee Street, Carencro. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- LEONARD M. STONE: 49, homeless, Broussard. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- CHRISTOPHER TODD WALKER: 21, of the 200 block of Edison Street, Lafayette. He was booked on for Iberia Parish; misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; and resisting an officer.
- DARRELL WATTS: 44, of the 700 block of Beau Basin Road, Carencro. He was booked on careless driving; expired driver license; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and possession of marijuana.
- DARREL WILLIAMS: 63, of the 2800 block of Louisiana Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace.