LAFAYETTE — One person was killed in a two-vehicle crash at 2:15 p.m. Monday at La Neuville Road and Ambassador Caffery Parkway, said Cpl. Paul L. Mouton, a Police Department spokesman.
The second driver was hospitalized Monday with injuries considered nonlife-threatening, Mouton said.
Man booked in car theft; items recovered
SCOTT — Lafayette deputies on Monday recovered some of the property stolen last week from a vehicle in the 100 block of Dubac Road while executing a warrant, authorities said.
Treyvon Sam, 18, of Lafayette, was booked on a count of simple burglary in the Dec. 3 burglary after Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies found him with the victim’s checkbook, Scott Police Chief Chad Leger said in a news release.
The victim’s electronics stolen in the burglary were not recovered, Leger said. All of the stolen property totaled about $2,000.
Sam also was booked on felony possession of a Schedule I substance, misdemeanor possession of stolen things and failure to secure a driver’s license, and remained in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on Monday afternoon in lieu of $14,000 bail, according to the Sheriff’s Office website.
Extension cord cited in Sunday house fire
LAFAYETTE — An overloaded extension cord caused an electrical fire Sunday night at a home in the 300 block of East Alexander Street, authorities said.
Firefighters battled a back-bedroom blaze in the home for about 20 minutes before it was under control, department spokesman Alton Trahan said in a news release Monday.
The 76-year-old homeowner, her son and her pet escaped the house without injury after noticing the fire about 8 p.m. in the woman’s bedroom, Trahan said.
The fire caused heavy fire damage to the bedroom and attic area, while the rest of the home sustained heavy smoke damage, Trahan said.
Breaux Bridge man booked in shooting
ST. MARTINVILLE — A Breaux Bridge man who surrendered to authorities Sunday afternoon is accused of shooting at a mobile home and two vehicles on Orchard Park Drive during an argument, the St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office said.
Lionel Potier, 41, was booked on aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated criminal damage to property and possessing a firearm as a felon, spokeswoman Maj. Ginny Higgins said Monday in a news release.
Deputies responding to gunfire about 3:15 p.m. Sunday learned Potier had argued with a man at the home before he left and returned with a gun, Higgins said. He then fired toward the residence and fled, soon abandoning his car at a vacant house on Apple Street, Higgins said.
Potier surrendered two hours later and was booked into the St. Martin Parish Correctional Center, Higgins said. No injuries were reported.
Arrests posted Dec. 8 on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- CAMERON TAYLOR ANDERSON: 21, of the 900 block of Fairwinds Avenue, Zachary. He was booked on disturbing the peace; public urination; and resisting an officer.
- CHELSEY ANDERSON: 19, of the 200 block of High Meadows Boulevard, Lafayette. She was booked on failure to yield while making a left turn; misdemeanor theft of goods; operating a vehicle with a suspended license; and a warrant/bench warrant.
- ROBERT LEE BATTLES JR.: 33, of the 600 block of Breaux Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery and misdemeanor domestic abuse (child endangerment).
- PHILLIP JOSEPH BENOIT: 48, of the 1900 block of North St. Antoine Street, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of fugitive and a warrant/bench warrant.
- LARRY BLANCHET: 59, of the 100 block of Geology Circle, Broussard. He was booked on interfering with a law enforcement investigation.
- MARLON BOURDA: 27, of the 100 block of Thelma Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics; and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
- JEFFERY CARROLL: 34, of the 200 block of Carlton Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on false imprisonment; misdemeanor domestic abuse battery; and resisting an officer.
- KATRICE MONIQUE DAVIS: 30, of the 1000 block of Charles Street, St. Martinville. She was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- JOHN EMILING: 24, of the 100 block of Gatesmere Court, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- TRINITY SHONDELAY GOBERT: 25, of the 1300 block of Roper Road, Scott. She was booked on four counts of cruelty to juveniles.
- DANNY C. HEBERT: 35, of the 2000 block of Atchafalaya River Highway, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- KEVIN DANIELLE JOHNLOUIS: 38, of the 200 block of Loul Street, Broussard. He was booked on parole violation.
- JULES ANTHONY JOINER: 44, of the 100 block of Ambrose Street, Lafayette. He was booked on failure to use a turn signal and failure to secure a driver’s license.
- BOUNPHENG KEOPRASEUTH: 46, of the 5500 block of Cronwell Road, New Iberia. He was booked on misdemeanor illegal carrying of weapons and disturbing the peace.
- WAYNE LACOSTE JR.: 37, of the 1100 block of South State Street, Abbeville. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- KRISTIN D. LEDOUX: 29, of the 1100 block of Grand Anse Highway, Breaux Bridge. She was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- JIMMY JOSEPH ROMERO: 38, of the 100 block of Sylvan Drive, Duson. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JAKUB SHOWS: 20, of the 400 block of Toby Mouton Road, Duson. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- MARK SIAS: 21, of the 200 block of Auburn Drive, Carencro. He was booked on two counts of aggravated assault; simple battery; and simple criminal damage to property.
- MATTHEW SIAS: 21, of the 200 block of High Meadows Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace; interfering with a law enforcement investigation; and resisting a police officer with force or violence.
- WINFRED EQUILLOS SOILEAU: 52, of the 1600 block of Pat Lane, Opelousas. He was booked on unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and hold for St. Landry Parish.
- JONATHON LEE STOUTES: 37, of the 100 block of Laura Street, Maurice. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless operation.