LAFAYETTE — A Kaplan man was charged this week in the July death of bicyclist Lon Lomas, who was killed as he peddled along La. 92 near Mermentau Road.
Fitzpatrick Francois Doucette has been charged in a bill of information with one count each of negligent homicide, felony hit and run, and two traffic violations, Mike Harson, district attorney for the 15th Judicial district, said Wednesday.
Lomas, 30, was riding in the early morning of July 7 when Doucette allegedly hit him from behind. State Police said they responded to a 7:03 a.m. report of a bicyclist in a water-filled ditch on the side of the road.
In the bill of information, the District Attorney’s Office said Doucette failed to stop and give aid and assistance to the injured Lomas, who needed help to survive.
Doucette, 42, also faces misdemeanor charges of improperly passing a bicyclist and driving with a suspended or canceled driver’s license.
If convicted of the negligent homicide charge, Doucette faces up to five years in prison. On the hit and run charge, he faces up to 10 years in prison.
School worker faces gun, drug counts
ABBEVILLE — Abbeville police say they arrested a school employee accused in two separate aggravated assaults and, in searching his truck at the school, found a gun and narcotics hidden inside.
The news release from the police department did not identify the school or give the age or address for Heikeem Hebert, who was booked on two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm and on other drug and weapons counts.
On Tuesday, at about 6 p.m., police were called to Live Oak Manor Apartments at the 1600 block of Martin Luther King Drive on the first complaint of aggravated assault with a firearm. Officers spoke to the victim but could not locate the attacker, the department said.
On Wednesday, at about 12:30 p.m., officers received information that there had just been a fight near Live Oak Manor and that the same man pulled a gun on another person. One of the victims told police the attacker who jumped him had pulled a gun on him and then left in a truck, the news release says.
In addition to the aggravated assault counts, Hebert also was booked on possession of a stolen firearm, possession of a firearm with a controlled, dangerous substance, possession of a firearm on school property, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, and possession of marijuana within a school zone.
Hebert is being held in the Vermilion Parish Correctional Center. Bond had not been set as of Wednesday evening.
Arrests posted Sept. 17, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- EDMOND WILLIAM ANDERSON: 32, of the 200 block of Despain Street, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- MICHELLE RAE ARCENEAUX: 47, homeless, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless operation.
- ETHAN RUSSUEL ARMAND: 23, of the 1100 block of Lopez Road, New Iberia. He was booked on felony theft.
- JOHNNY M. BOUDREAUX: 49, of the 1900 block of Lagneaux Road, Lafayette. He was booked on having no safety belt and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- DILLAN BRUNO: 19, of the 100 block of Brina Lane, Carencro. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- DYLAN BURGESS: 18, of the 100 block of Squirrel Run, Youngsville. He was booked on unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- RONDON CAESAR SR.: 38, of the 26362 block of Highway 15, Ferriday. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- JEREMY P. COLTON: 21, of the 200 block of Riverwoods Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on cruelty to the infirm.
- KIMBERLY RENEE COLTON: 48, of the 200 block of Riverwoods Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on cruelty to the infirm.
- ANDRE DEROUEN: 35, of the 100 block of Ranch Road, Opelousas. He was booked on simple battery.
- ANGELICA MARIE DUPLANTIS: 25, of the 300 block of Spruce Street, Lafayette. She was booked on sale, distribution or possession of prescription drugs without a prescription, and distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics.
- MYRTH JOSEPH FOREMAN: 29, of the 300 block of Hibou Road, Carencro. He was booked on two counts for Acadia Parish; misdemeanor domestic abuse battery; misdemeanor unauthorized use of access card as theft; and three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- PAUL MELVIN FRANCIS: 27, of the 100 block of Windmill Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- BERNADETTE MARIE HAMILTON: 31, of the 100 block of Lacobie Street, Lafayette. She was booked on two counts of fugitive.
- ANTHONY DARNELL HARVEY: 32, of the 1500 block of Boffi Circle, Austin, Texas. He was booked on four counts of fugitive and simple burglary of a pharmacy.
- GERALD GENE HOLLOWAY: 42, of the 2100 block of Dulley Street, Eunice. He was booked on misdemeanor illegal possession of stolen things and criminal mischief.
- ALLEN BRUCE HUDSON: 26, of the 4500 block of Becon Road, Youngsville. He was booked on misdemeanor unauthorized use of access card as theft and four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- HANNAH NICOLE LANGLINAIS: 18, of the 1400 block of Fortune Road, Youngsville. She was booked on criminal trespass; two counts of resisting an officer; and simple assault.
- ASHLEY RENEE LEBLANC: 29, of the 2900 block of Mills Road, Lafayette. She was booked on three counts of fugitive.
- ANTONIO MICHAEL LEWIS: 33, of the 400 block of Daisy, Lafayette. He was booked on improper display of license; operating a vehicle with a suspended license; and resisting an officer.
- JACE MIGUEL LOPEZ: 24, of the 300 block of Hillridge Drive, Youngsville. He was booked on unauthorized entry of a place of a business.
- BREELAN WAYNE MENARD: 30, of the 7300 block of Johnston Street, Maurice. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery and simple criminal damage to property.
- DALANA CHANTELL NOEL: 27, of the 2400 block of East Simcoe Street, Lafayette. She was booked on disturbing the peace and felony theft.
- JORDANE MARY PIERRE: 35, of the 100 block of Bellot Street, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- JOSHUA M. RANSONET: 34, of the 200 block of Lodge, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor stalking.
- VICTOR A. SANDIFER: 50, of the 300 block of Gilbeau Road, Lafayette. He was booked on careless driving; two counts of misdemeanor hit-and-run driving; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle.
- MISTY L. STOCKSTILL: 27, of the 100 block of La Rue Biarritz Road, Duson. She was booked on shoplifting and warrant/bench warrant.
- FREDERICK STOKES: 34, of the 700 block of Courrege Street, New Iberia. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- JERAMIE SUIRE: 42, of the 14315 block of St. Elmo Road, Erath. He was booked on hold for extradition.
- RYAN PAUL WILLIAMS: 39, of the 300 block of Windsong Drive, Youngsville. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.