Two Lafayette residents were treated at area hospitals Wednesday night after they went into a burning house to check for children inside.

The two people had gone inside their neighbor’s home at 126 Edna St. after seeing smoke billowing from the house and “fearing children were inside,” Lafayette Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan said.

Trahan said the homeowner, his girlfriend and their children had left home about 30 minutes before the neighbors reported the fire, which began when an unattended stove burner ignited a pot of grease.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within about 10 minutes, with the home’s interior sustaining moderate fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the house, Trahan said.

The fire was ruled accidental.