LAKE CHARLES — A 30-year-old Jennings man was sentenced Thursday to more than 15 years in federal prison for downloading child pornography, KATC-TV reported.
Seth Ryan Bivens was given the sentence Thursday by U.S. District Judge Patricia Minaldi for one count of receiving child pornography, according to KATC-TV. He also was sentenced to serve a lifetime of supervised release and is required to register as a sex offender.
Authorities said Bivens was downloading child pornography using “peer-to-peer” software, and they found 294 movies and 28 images of child porn on his devices.
Lafayette police seek Capital One robber
LAFAYETTE — Police are looking for a man who robbed a Capital One Bank branch in the 3500 block of West Pinhook at just after 3 p.m. Friday, officials said.
The suspect walked into the bank at 3:09 p.m., approached the counter and gave a clerk a note demanding money, Lafayette police Cpl. Paul Mouton said.
“The suspect made verbal threats toward the clerk and then stole an undisclosed amount of cash,” Mouton said in a news release.
The suspect took off on foot behind the building. There were no injuries, Mouton said.
Anyone with information is asked to call (337) 232-TIPS.
Arson suspected in Opelousas house fire
OPELOUSAS — An Opelousas woman and her three children are homeless after their house burned down Thursday morning, and authorities say they suspect the children’s father started the fire.
The victim reported about 8 a.m. that 30-year-old Victor Fontenot was physically abusing and holding her hostage at her home in the 500 block of James Street, said Sgt. Jody White, an Opelousas Police Department spokesman.
Fontenot was gone by the time police arrived, but neighbors noticed him at the home when the victim left to take her children to school, White said. The house caught fire shortly after.
“Right now, we don’t have the arson charge on him,” White said, “but we have reports from neighbors that they did see him come back to the residence, at which point he became our suspect.”
White said the home is uninhabitable and none of the victim’s possessions was able to be salvaged.
The state Fire Marshal’s Office also is investigating.
Fontenot, 504 Narrow St., Opelousas, faces one count each of home invasion, domestic abuse battery, child desertion, simple battery, simple assault and resisting an officer. He also faces two counts of false imprisonment, one from the Thursday morning incident and another based on a previous instance in which the victim reported to police that he was holding her against her will.
White said the children were unharmed.
Police: Man accused of slaying during fight
ARNAUDVILLE — A Breaux Bridge man was booked Thursday on a count of second-degree murder in the Kennedy Drive shooting death of an Arnaudville man.
The incident happened about 2:30 p.m. Jamie Zenon, 31, is accused of shooting 28-year-old Emmanuel Sam during an argument, according to Maj. Ginny Higgins, St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.
Investigators found Zenon shortly after at a residence in rural Breaux Bridge, Higgins said. Sam was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Zenon is being held without bond at the St. Martin Parish Correctional Center, Higgins said, and the investigation is ongoing.
Arrests posted Oct. 17, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- JOSHUA ANTHONY ANTOINE: 29, of the 200 block of N. Marigny Street, Lafayette. He was booked on failing to report an address change as a registered sex offender.
- LAVIN SENTELL AUZENNE: 32, of the 2600 block of Main Highway, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant and probation violation.
- JOHNIE WAYNE BENOIT: 45, of the 500 block of E. 14th Street, Crowley. He was booked on hold for court and two counts of having an outstanding warrant.
- ERIC JACAL BRAZIEL: 30, of the 200 block of Brown Road, Palmetto. He was booked on carrying a weapon while committing or attempting to commit a crime or while in possession or during sale or distribution of a controlled substance; misdemeanor illegal carrying of weapons; misdemeanor possession of marijuana; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- EARL MELVIN CARMOUCHE: 45, no address listed, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- DANIEL CARMOUCHE: 23, no address listed, Lafayette. He was booked on a warrant.
- MICHAEL CASTILLE: 30, of the 400 block of Ninth Street, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on hold for court.
- KEVIN DEION CLAY: 30, of the 200 block of Hustle Lane, Lafayette. He was booked with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- MITCHELL COLLINS: 32, of the 1000 block of Apple Street, Breaux Bridge. He was booked for St. Martin Parish; resisting an officer; and three counts of having a warrant.
- ELVIS DIRDEN: 45, of the 200 block of Gireer Road, Youngsville. He was booked on contempt of court.
- VINICIUS FARIA: 25, of the 200 block of Oak Crest Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- JASMINE N. FRANCIS: 22, of the 600 block of Colorado Road, Duson. She was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- LADARREN JAMAL FRANCIS: 33, of the 100 block of Hansel Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- RICARDO GLOVER: 41, of the 100 block of Champagne Street, Lafayette. He was booked for St. Martin Parish.
- BARRY NEAL GUIDRY: 51, of the 1000 block of Will Guidry Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked for St. Martin Parish.
- ALLEN DEON GUIDRY: 47, of the 700 block of St. Peters Street, Abbeville. He was booked on two counts of hold for St. Landry Parish and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- MARK THOMAS HABEL: 18, of the 200 block of Olivier Street, New Orleans. He was booked on improper lane change (no accident); misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and no driver’s license in possession.
- OTIS HARRIS: 28, of the 700 block of Colfax Drive, Baker. He was booked for St. Martin Parish.
- JOHN EDWARD HEBERT: 43, of the 200 block of Touchet Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor unauthorized use of access card as theft.
- FRANCIS DENNIS LANDRY: 24, of the 1000 block of Vanessa Drive, Arnaudville. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- JAMES LAVERGNE JR.: 33, of the 400 block of Chemin Metarie Road, Youngsville. He was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden and resisting an officer.
- LILLIE LINTON: 29, of Country Air Drive, Rayne. She was booked on shoplifting.
- VICTORIA MILLIMAN: 29, of the 200 block of Longleaf Drive, Broussard. She was booked on criminal trespassing; misdemeanor theft of goods; resisting an officer; theft under $100; and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DWAINE M. ROGER JR.: 24, of the 5400 block of Mire Highway, Rayne. He was booked on hold for St. Landry Parish.
- CASEY ROY: 27, of the 100 block of Alex Street, Lafayette. He was booked on it is unlawful to knowingly or intentionally produce, manufacture, distribute or dispense or possess with intent to produce, manufacture, distribute, or dispense, a controlled dangerous substance and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- QUINCY TERRELL SHELVIN: 37, of the 100 block of Kennedy Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- BRANDON CARL STOUTE: 32, of the 300 block of Herbert Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- KRISTI THOMPSON: 54, of the 7200 block of Sand Pit Road, Abbeville. She was booked on two counts of fugitive and misdemeanor issuing worthless checks.
- JUSTIN TRAHAN: 21, of the 100 block of Bristol Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- LACORRION TURNER: 18, of the 100 block of Township Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on first-degree robbery and armed robbery.
- FRANK NEIL VOLLENWEIDER: 45, of the 200 block of Woodvale Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked for Jefferson Davis Parish.
- DAVID LEE WASHINGTON JR.: 41, of the 600 block of Avenue B, Youngsville. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- JHAILEN TREVON ZENO: 20, of the 100 block of Van Buren Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on attempted second-degree murder; driving on a roadway laned for traffic; felony distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics; resisting an officer; and having a warrant.
- TRACY ZENO: 42, of the 100 block of Van Buren, Lafayette. She was booked on four counts for Rapides Parish.