The Scott Fire Department responded to two fires started by fireworks on New Year’s Eve, including one that resulted in second-degree burns to a pregnant woman.

Firefighters were putting out a vehicle fire in the 2300 block of Dulles Drive around 12:30 a.m. when a person approached them and said someone had been hit with fireworks in a nearby street, Chief Chad Sonnier said in a news release.

Firefighters found a pregnant woman lying in the 100 block of Herbert Road. The woman had been riding in a vehicle with four other people on Dulles Drive when she tried to throw a lit firecracker out the window, Sonnier said.

The wind blew the firework back inside and it exploded, setting fire to her clothes and the vehicle.

The woman, who received severe second-degree burns on her upper torso and mild burns on her stomach, was taken to a local hospital for treatment, Sonnier said. The driver was not hurt, and the three passengers who were in the back seat left before firefighters arrived, he said.

Minutes earlier, at 12:06 a.m., the fire department responded to a grass fire about 50 feet from a house in the 100 block of Sagebrush Drive.

“Strong winds were causing the fire to spread and grow quickly,” Sonnier said.

The fire was ruled an accident started by fireworks being shot in nearby neighborhoods, Sonnier said.