A man shot Saturday near a car wash in Sunset died that night at an Opelousas hospital, KATC-TV reports.
Sunset police are withholding the victim’s name until after next of kin are notified.
The man was shot in the upper body around 9:45 p.m. near Anna and Landry streets, the TV station reports.
The man was taken to Opelousas General, where he was pronounced dead.
Resident escapes fire that destroys home
A large house fire in Broussard drew firefighters from five fire departments Saturday afternoon and the home was still destroyed in the blaze, KATC-TV reports.
Firefighters with the Broussard, Milton, Youngsville, Lafayette and St. Martin Parish fire departments all worked together Saturday to battle flames at the home on Heart D Farm Road.
The home’s owner, Joe Harb, told KATC-TV he was taking a nap on a sofa inside the house when he was awoken by a loud noise and realized a downstairs room was engulfed in flames.
“It was an electrical panel that caused it,” Harb said. “The smoke and the fire spread real quick.”
Harb, who’s lived at the home for the past 15 years, was the only resident home at the time.
He escaped unharmed and called 911 but firefighters were unable to save the house and the family’s possessions.
“Everything can be replaced except human life,” Harb said. “That’s the greatest thing about it. I’m so grateful I am alive and nobody is hurt.”
Arrests posted Jan. 24, 2016, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- SHENEK BROOKS: 33, of the 3500 block of Monroe Street, Lake Charles. She was booked for Calcasieu Parish.
- HAROLD BURLEIGH: 44, of the 200 block of Bradford Drive, Carencro. He was booked on obscenity.
- ANNIE CAILLOUET: 35, of the 100 block of Ellerslie Court, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and speeding over 30 mph.
- CHRISTOPHER CARRICO: 36, of the 3600 block of East Simcoe Street, Lafayette. He was booked on commercial vehicle registration violation; driving on roadway laned for traffic; misdemeanor hit-and-run driving; and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- JILLIAN GUIDRY: 28, of the 200 block of Jeffrey Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on six counts of identity theft; misdemeanor unauthorized use of access card as theft; and shoplifting.
- SHARICA HAMILTON: 26, of the 100 block of Ambroise, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless driving.
- KEVIN ANTAVON JOHNSON: 29, of the 1600 block of Charles Burr Lane, Opelousas. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- GERRY JOHN LASSEIGNE: 31, of the 100 block of Schoeffler Road, Carencro. He was booked on simple criminal damage to property.
- JOHN LAY: 23, of the 100 block of South Theater Street, St. Martinville. He was booked on possession of marijuana and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- PHILLIP JOSEPH NELSON: 27, of the 800 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- DEMARCUS ST. JULIAN: 29, of the 200 block of Vieux Orleans, Lafayette. He was booked on Schedule II narcotics; resisting an officer; unauthorized entry of a place of business; and on a warrant/bench warrant.
- SHANNON WYNETTE TRAHAN: 40, of the 1100 block of Roper Drive, Scott. She was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- CORINA QUINN WOODWARD: 21, of the 1300 block of Dulles Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on aggravated second-degree battery.