OPELOUSAS — Authorities are searching for one of two men believed responsible for the Thanksgiving Day abduction and shooting of a 49-year-old Opelousas woman.
Chadwick E. Sam, 29, of Washington, is wanted on a count of principal to attempted second-degree murder, principal to armed robbery and aggravated kidnapping, St. Landry Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Clay Higgins said in a news release.
Sam’s warrant stems from a Nov. 27 incident in which a woman said she was shot trying to escape two men who abducted her, Higgins said. The woman said she accepted a ride from the men around 8 a.m., but the men then held her at gunpoint and took her to a secluded area and tried to sexually assault her, Higgins said.
The woman has since been released from the hospital and is “expected to make a full physical recovery,” Higgins said.
Anyone with information on Sam’s whereabouts is asked to call the Crime Stoppers tip line at (337) 948-8477.
Slain woman may have been from Acadiana
BENTON — An unidentified woman stabbed to death 34 years ago may have been a runaway from southwest Louisiana, and the Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help to identify the woman in the cold case, KATC-TV reported.
The woman could have been from one of nine Acadiana-area parishes — Acadia, Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Evangeline, Lafayette, Jefferson Davis, St. Landry or Vermilion — or possibly the Arkansas-Louisiana-Texas area, Sheriff Julian Whittington said.
Hunters found the woman’s decomposed body with no identification on Jan. 28, 1981, in woods about a mile off La. 157 south of La. 528 in Bossier Parish, Whittington said. The woman was about 15-20 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighed about 125-135 pounds and had blonde hair. Investigators in 1981 suspected she was dead four to six weeks when she was discovered.
She was wearing blue jeans, a long-sleeved button-down shirt, a tan cardigan sweater, a large Buffalo Nickel belt buckle and white “Evonne Goolagong” brand sneakers with the name “D. Davies” written on the inside of one of the shoes, Whittington said. She also had bonding agents on her teeth from braces she may have removed herself.
Man, teen injured when Lafayette home shot
LAFAYETTE — A man and a teenaged boy were injured Friday in an overnight shooting near the intersection of East Pinhook Road and Simcoe Street.
A 26-year-old was shot in the back and a 16-year-old in the right leg after someone shot at a home in the 100 block of Champagne Street around 1:15 a.m., Lafayette police said in a news release. The shooting victims were hospitalized. Their wounds are not considered life threatening.
Two more people inside the home were uninjured, police said.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Lafayette Police or the Crime Stoppers tip line at (337) 232-TIPS.
Arrests posted Dec. 5 on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- IRBY BERTHELOT JR.: 38, of the 1000 block of A Courville Road, St. Martinville. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics; distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- JIMMY O. NEAL BINGHAM: 22, of the 600 block of East Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on simple burglary.
- TREVOR JOSEPH BROUSSARD: 21, of the 100 block of Wilkins Street, Lafayette. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- TYRELL JOSEPH CARTER: 26, of the 100 block of Brina Lane, Carencro. He was booked on knowingly/intentionally possessing narcotics without a prescription and transactions involving proceeds from drug offenses.
- TOBIAS CLARK: 34, of the 3600 block of Landry Road, Scott. He was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- TERRY DELHOMME: 31, of the 100 block of Stone Henge Road, Lafayette. He was booked on improper lane change (no accident); misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and speeding 21 to 25 mph over the limit.
- DIRK K. DESHOTELS: 49, of the 500 block of College Road, Opelousas. He was booked on aggravated assault; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; public intimidation and retaliation; resisting an officer; and speeding 11 to 15 mph above the limit.
- JARED PAUL FONTENOT: 43, of the 1000 block of Raspery Road, St. Martinville. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- MILLICENT GRACE FREEMAN: 21, of the 4800 block of Woodlawn Road, Maurice. She was booked on criminal mischief.
- JEREMY GREEN: 23, of the 1100 block of Gecko Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on second-degree battery.
- ALVONTRE GRIFFIN: 18, of the 800 block of Delord Street, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics and disobeying a stop sign.
- BRYAN HALL: 28, of the 22700 block of Brittney Renee Drive, Zachary. He was booked on simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling and misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics.
- CODY CALVERT HARRIS: 26, of the 200 block of Brookside Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling.
- CHRISTOPHER HEBERT: 62, of the 200 block of 6th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on public urination.
- ELDRIDGE L. JONES: 55, of the 400 block of Moss Street, Lafayette. He was booked on failure to obey traffic control; failure to wear a safety belt; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- CHRISTIAN JUNEAU: 26, of the 600 block of Wichita Street, Shreveport. He was booked on disturbing the peace; simple assault; and unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- THEODORE TEDDY LANDRY: 32, of the 2200 block of Doyle Melancon Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on operating a vehicle with a suspended license and operating without a license.
- COREY LEGER: 23, of the 400 block of Heidi Circle, Scott. He was booked on hold for court.
- ROBERT TODD LEVINE: 58, of Wood Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He was booked on felony theft.
- SHARLENE MATTHEWS: 45, of the 1000 block of St. Charles Street, Lafayette. She was booked on probation violation.
- MONIQUE MCCOY: 34, of the 100 block of Racine Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- FREDERICK LEON MOORE: 54, of the 300 block of Airs Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- GARRICK JOSEPH MUSSO: 23, of the 200 block of Doucet Road, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal mischief.
- DWAYNE TEDMMUND PERRY: 44, of the 1400 block of Greene Street, Abbeville. He was booked on two counts for St. Martin Parish.
- CARLA MARIE THIBEAUX: 46, of the 100 block of 7th Street, Crowley. She was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- MATTHEW CORY WAGAR: 22, of the 500 block of Roosevelt Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless operation.