CROWLEY — A Crowley man shot last week by a police officer was released from the hospital and booked Saturday on a count of attempted first-degree murder, accused of trying to run over officers with an SUV.
Jarai Andrus, 20, of the 200 block of Dejean Circle, also was booked on three counts of vehicular negligent injuring and one count of aggravated flight from an officer. He remains in the Acadia Parish jail in lieu of $260,000 bail.
The negligent injuring counts allege Andrus was under the influence of drugs or alcohol when he drove toward officers trying to pull him over on West Seventh Street.
Andrus was driving at a “high rate of speed” toward the officer, who fired shots at the speeding vehicle, Police Chief K.P. Gibson said.
The officer is the same man who on Aug. 11 fatally shot 53-year-old Melvin Leblanc, Gibson said. That officer will not be placed on administrative leave, the chief said.
Louisiana State Police is investigating both shootings.
Police chief’s son jailed on child porn counts
EUNICE — The son of Eunice Police Chief Ronald Dies was arrested Friday on child pornography counts for allegedly electronically transmitting inappropriate pictures of a 3-year-old child, KATC-TV reported.
Jason Dies, 32, of Eunice, was released from the St. Landry Parish Jail on Friday after posting a $25,000 bond, said Sgt. Clay Higgins, St. Landry Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman.
“There is no indication that he created the images himself, nor that he physically abused the child,” Higgins said.
The multi-jurisdictional investigation is ongoing and may lead to more arrests, Higgins said.
No other details were available about the case Monday, Higgins said.
Five booked in armed robbery; toy gun found
OPELOUSAS — Four 17-year-olds and a juvenile were arrested Friday after police say they put a toy gun to someone’s head and took the person’s cellphone, KATC-TV reported.
Robert Andrus, Davien Bell, Michael Shelvin and Gregory Texada were booked on one count each of armed robbery and one count each of contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile.
Two people reported being robbed by five men in hoodies about 7 p.m. Friday at the intersection of Block and Market streets, said Opelousas police Sgt. Jody White. The teens were found in hoodies a few blocks from the scene and were later linked to the robbery, and the toy gun believed used in the robbery was recovered, White said.
Scott man booked in rape of 10-year-old girl
SCOTT — A Scott man was arrested Thursday after evidence linked him to the May rape of a 10-year-old girl, authorities said Monday.
Michael Jason Burks, 35, was booked on a count of aggravated rape and remained in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on Monday afternoon in lieu of $500,000 bail.
The victim was examined by a sexual assault nurse at an area hospital May 25 after complaining to her mother about a stomachache, according to a news release from the Scott Police Department.
Acadiana Crime Lab results came in Nov. 5, and Burks was arrested a day later without incident, police said.
If convicted of the crime, Burks faces life in prison without parole, probation or suspension.
Arrests posted Nov. 10, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- HEATHER NICOLE ARNAUD: 32, of the 600 block of Colorado Road, Duson. She was booked on felony theft of goods and five counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- TODD RENE BREAUX: 19, of the 400 block of Guidry Road, Lafayette. He was booked on simple criminal damage to property.
- ROY LEE CLARK: 50, of the 200 block of Rees Street, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- NATHANIEL CLARK: 38, of the 300 block of Bopamo Lane, Duson. He was booked on illegal possession of stolen firearms and three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- QUENTIN BRYCE DECUIR: 25, of the 500 block of Sweet Briar Street, Lafayette. He was booked on operating a vehicle with a suspended license and fugitive.
- JERRADRRIED EDMOND: 37, of the 700 block of City Press, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- ADAM JACOB EUBANKS: 24, of the 800 block of Dulles Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor illegal possession of stolen things and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- SHANICE TASHUNTA GUIDRY: 21, of the 100 block of River Birch Drive, Iowa. She was booked on forgery and felony bank fraud.
- TABAITHA A. HARRELL: 35, of the 200 block of North Girouard Road, Lafayette. She was booked on a warrant/bench warrant.
- MARLON HOLMES: 35, of the 800 block of Martin Luther King Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- BOBBY JACK HOLT: 54, of the 300 block of 7th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on vagrancy.
- SHAUN JOSEPH: 18, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace and interfering with a law enforcement investigation.
- CHRISTOPHER JAMES KENDALL: 22, of the 200 block of Marie Street, Scott. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- COLLEY DAVIS MCLENDON SR.: 52, of the 2500 block of Savoy Road, Milton. He was booked on felony theft.
- COREY DALE NAVARRE: 35, of the 500 block of East Church Street, Church Point. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- ALBERT KIRK SAMPY: 32, of the 100 block of Mimosa Place, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive.
- CLEVELAND JOSEPH SMITH: 47, of the 700 block of Crandle Drive, Rayne. He was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden; misdemeanor theft of goods; and resisting an officer.