St. Mary searches for two dangerous jail escapees
CENTERVILLE — The search for two escaped St. Mary Parish inmates, one an accused killer and arsonist, continued Monday evening, the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office said.
Authorities alerted nearby residents Monday morning about escapees Christopher Horton, 28, and Joshua Folks, 36, St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Traci Landry said in a release.
“Residents may periodically see an influx of law enforcement personnel in different areas as investigators continue to work tips and leads in this case,” Landry said.
Horton, of Bayou Vista, faces charges of second-degree murder and arson. Horton is a white man who stands 5 feet 11 inches tall, with blond hair and brown eyes.
Folks, of Franklin, is a 5-foot 9-inch white man with brown hair and blue eyes. Folks was serving a sentence for theft and aggravated escape.
St. Mary authorities have issued an alert to area government agencies and area schools, and the men have been placed on a nationwide database.
Jail officials noticed the pair were missing early Monday morning, Landry said. She did not say when investigators think they escaped or how they got out of the facility.
Landry warned that anyone seeing one or both men should not approach them.
“Again, Horton and Folks are considered dangerous,” Landry said.
Anyone with information is asked to call sheriff’s officials at (985) 384-1622 or (337) 828-1960.
Editor’s note: This story was changed on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014, to correct the status of the charges against Horton.
Eunice man held in alleged child rape
OPELOUSAS — A Eunice man has been arrested on suspicion he raped a 14-year-old, the St. Landry Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Jeramie Brown, 35, of 1431 La. 758, was booked on one count of forcible rape, Capt. Megan Vizena said in a release.
Vizena said the teen was at Brown’s residence during the month of December.
“Investigators were able to obtain statements from other witnesses (who) were present at the time of the incident,” Vizena said.
Lafayette early morning robbery investigated
LAFAYETTE — Police are investigating an armed robbery that occurred early Monday morning on McKinley Street, Lafayette police said in a release.
The victim told police he was walking in the 200 block of McKinley Street when a man pulled a handgun and robbed him of his cell phone and wallet, Cpl. Paul Mouton said in a release.
“After taking the property, the suspect struck the victim twice in the head with the gun and fled the area,” Mouton said.
The robber is described as a black man in his 50s and about 6 feet tall. He was dressed in a gray hooded sweat shirt and long dark pants.
The victim was transported to a local hospital.
Anyone with information is asked to call Lafayette police or Crime Stoppers at (337) 232-TIPS.
Scott teen arrested in burglaries
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette Police arrested a Scott teenager over the weekend in a string of burglaries after he was seen Sunday night in the garage of a residence on Wind Haven Lane.
Anthony Tessling, 18, was booked on two counts of car burglary, four counts of attempted car burglary, one count of simple burglary and simple escape.
Police responded to a burglary at 7:15 p.m. Sunday and saw Tessling leave the garage of the home, located in the 500 block of Wind Haven Lane, with stolen items, Cpl. Paul Mouton said in a release.
“As officers were attempting to escort Tessling into the jail he attempted to flee, but was taken back into custody a short distance later,” Mouton said.
Tessling is being held in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on $65,500 bail.
Arrests posted Feb. 3, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s web site:
- KENWARD ANDREW ALEXANDER JR.: 30, of the 1100 block of Foreman Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and disturbing the peace.
- SADONNA LEIGH FONTENOT: 48, of the 2800 block of South Union Street, Opelousas. She was booked on misdemeanor issuing worthless checks.
- KATHERINE FRUGE: 19, of the 200 block of Grand Bueteris, Youngsville. She was booked on felony theft.
- CHRISTIAN GUILLORY: 29, of the 500 block of Bellaeu Road, Mallit. He was booked on criminal trespass; simple criminal damage to property; and unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- DORIS L. KEAL: 25, of the 200 block of Crestwell Lane, New Iberia. She was booked on two counts of hold for extradition; resisting an officer; eight counts of safety belt violation; and tail-light violation.
- KENNELL JOHN LANDRY: 56, of the 1900 block of East Milton Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies.
- PRESTON CHARLES LANDRY JR.: 30, of the 100 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on felony theft and misdemeanor theft.
- GEORGE LANG: 43, of the 200 block of Marie Antonette Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; open container of alcohol in a vehicle; and residential parking permit violation.
- JESSICA LEBLANC: 27, of the 1900 block of Prejean, Lake Charles. She was booked on felony operating a vehicle while intoxicated; hit and run driving; and operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offenses.
- CHARLES LINCOLN LEGER: 27, of the 300 block of Roosevelt Street, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of fugitive.
- LINDSEY ANN LEMON: 23, of Lafayette. She was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden; fugitive; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); resisting an officer; simple criminal damage to property; unauthorized entry of a place of business; and warrant/bench warrant.
- RICKEY PAUL LOGAN: 49, of the 200 block of Pecan Orchid Street, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass; home invasion; simple battery; and unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- FELICIA SPELL MYERS: 37, of the 200 block of Southwest Evangeline Thruway, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and improper lane change (no accident).
- ANDREW PICOU: 24, of the 3600 block of Canal Street, New Orleans. He was booked on felony illegal carrying of weapons and for Jefferson Parish.
- JERROLD ROGERS: 51, of the 100 block of Sylvia Street, Scott. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- ANTHONY J. TESSLING: 18, of the 3000 block of F Mills Road, Scott. He was booked on nine counts of simple burglary; simple escape; and aggravated escape.
- JOSE VELEZ: 33, of the 800 block of Jefferson Trel Street, New Iberia. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; multiple beam road lighting; and not having a driver’s license.