RAMAH — State Police on Saturday arrested the driver of an SUV that flipped over a guardrail on the elevated part of Interstate 10 and fell into the Atchafalaya Basin, killing a passenger.
State Police will book Lois Rudd, 24, Largo, Florida, into Iberville Parish Jail on a count of negligent homicide in the death of Mina Bell, 25, St. Petersburg, Florida, once Rudd is released from Baton Rouge General Medical Center-Bluebonnet, Trooper First Class Jared Sandifer said Saturday.
She will also be booked on five counts of negligent injuring and one count of careless operation, Sandifer said.
One of five children in the 2002 red Dodge Durango with Rudd, a 7-year-old, suffered severe injuries. The other children, ranging in age from 5 weeks to 9 years old, suffered moderate injuries. All the injured were taken to local hospitals.
About 8:15 p.m. Friday, Rudd was heading west on I-10 near milepost 132 in Ramah. The Durango veered left and crashed into a south concrete guardrail, the release says.
Rudd overcorrected, which caused the SUV to roll onto its side, strike the north concrete guardrail and flip over the side of the bridge. Troopers, who suspect Rudd was speeding, are still investigating to see who was restrained, the release says.
The crash remains under investigation.
Home intruder shot, wounded by resident
NEW IBERIA — The victim of a home invasion wrested control of an intruder’s rifle late Friday and shot him, the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office said Saturday.
Deputies were called about 11:55 p.m. Friday to a residence in the 300 block of Fontelieu Driver in New Iberia, Lt. Richard Fleming said in a news release.
Three men entered the residence, where three adults and two children were inside. One of the men inside the home struggled with one of the suspects, Darteze Jack, got control of the rifle and shot him, Fleming said.
Jack, 25, Lake Charles, was taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Lafayette in serious condition. Arrest warrants have been issued for Jack on counts of home invasion and attempted first-degree murder, Fleming said.
Patrol deputies found another the suspects, Devon Moore, 19, 1234 Field St., New Iberia, when they stopped a vehicle on Brianna Drive that fit the description a suspect was driving. Moore was booked on counts of home invasion and attempted first-degree murder.
The third man is still being sought, Fleming said. He said deputies recovered a hand gun and a rifle, thought to have belonged to the suspects, the release says.
Fleming urged anyone with information to contact detectives at (337) 369-3711.
Arrests posted Jun. 14, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s web site:
- SHYLA ANDERSON: 22, of the 500 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. She was booked on entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden.
- JACOB BARNABA: 18, of the 100 block of Jade Street, Lafayette. He was booked on fugitive and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JARED ANDRE BEGNAUD: 35, of the 100 block of Lepinay Street, Lafayette. He was booked on domestic abuse aggravated assault.
- BRANDON CAMPBELL: 19, of the 1600 block of Cherokee Street, Abbeville. He was booked on aggravated burglary and battery.
- JOEL CHAMPAGNE: 28, of the 3600 block of Kaliste Saloom Road, Lafayette. He was booked on three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JACOBY COLBERT: 23, of the 100 block of Field Street, New Iberia. He was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- JULIEN ANDREW CORMIER: 24, of the 400 block of Gen. Dorme, Carencro. He was booked on knowledge with intent to possess schedule II unless rx and unlawful to possess Schedule III drugs.
- MICHAEL COUSSAN: 49, of the 400 block of Brasseaux Road, Carencro. He was booked on felony distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics.
- JASON LAWRENCE DUNKIN: 36, of the 300 block of Ryder Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- TYLER ETIENNE: 17, of the 1000 block of 9th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- JOHNNY FRANCIS: 48, of the 700 block of E. Fado Street, Carencro. He was booked on headlights; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and possession of alcoholic beverages in a vehicle.
- ROBERT FREDERICK: 28, of the 100 block of Summerset, Sunset. He was booked on simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling.
- LAUREN ELIZABETH GARDINER: 29, of the 600 block of W. 17th Street, Crowley. She was booked on failure to use turn signal; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; operating a vehicle with a suspended license; speeding up to 10 miles over; and unlawful use of license.
- ROBERT LANDRY: 57, of the 100 block of Coulee Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor stalking.
- DAI HONG LE: 21, of the 200 block of Churchill Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on improper lane change (no accident) and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- JOEL MATTHEW LEMOINE: 25, of the 100 block of Laurel Court, Luling. He was booked on simple battery.
- AARON JAMES LEONARD: 28, of the 1000 block of Guy Drive, St. Martinville. He was booked on felony theft; misdemeanor theft; and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- LESLIE M. MAGYAR: 42, of the 700 block of Lebesque Road, Lafayette. She was booked on felony unauthorized use of access card as theft and 20 counts of forgery.
- JACK ANDREW MARTIN: 21, of the 312 B block of Ira Street, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and headlamps for motor vehicles a.
- JONATHAN NELSON: 21, of the 1300 block of W. Willow Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- HERMAN NIXON: 42, of the 100 block of Dorchestor Street, Scott. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and criminal trespass.
- DEVIN JAMES PADDIO: 20, of the 100 block of Gregg Street, Carencro. He was booked on municipal purposes and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JOSHUA JACOBY PREJEAN: 29, of the 100 block of Leroy Street, Lafayette. He was booked on resisting a police officer with force or violence and possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies.
- BRITTNI RABEAUX: 19, of the 1000 block of Langlinais Road, Youngsville. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and disobeying a stop sign.
- JEREMY J. ROBERTS: 32, of the 1100 block of George Dupuis Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on driving on roadway laned for traffic; resisting an officer; simple criminal damage to property; simple escape; and aggravated escape.
- KELLI ANN ROMERO: 32, of the 1300 block of W. Sixth Street, Kaplan. She was booked on four counts for Vermilion Parish.
- SHANTEL TANNER: 40, of the 200 block of Evelyn Avenue, Houma. She was booked on hold for court and three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- ROY CHARLES WAGER: 21, of the 100 block of Chicory Lane, Lafayette. He was booked on fail to comply; misdemeanor possession of marijuana; and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- ANNA JEAN WAGER: 21, of the 100 block of Chicory Lane, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana and fail to comply.