J.W. Faulk Elementary and three other struggling elementary schools in Lafayette showed improvement on new state assessments to shake off F and D ratings, based on state accountability scores released Thursday.
Faulk improved from an accountability grade of F to a D and was recognized by the state as a “Top Gains” school based on its dramatic improvement in its school performance score from last year’s 33.2 to this year’s 45.2.
The Louisiana Department of Education released performance scores for elementary, middle and combination schools on Thursday.
The state also recognized Westside Elementary and the Early College Academy as “Top Gain” schools with a 15.3-point increase for Westside, bumping it up from a D letter grade to a C, and a 5.4-point increase for the Early College Academy, which maintained its A rating. The academy is a partnership between the school system and South Louisiana Community College, housed on the college’s Lafayette campus, that allows students to earn a high school diploma in tandem with an associate degree.
Superintendent Donald Aguillard said the results from the 2014-15 school year set the school district up for continued improvement, especially as the school system has pushed a literacy program, called Fast ForWord, which Aguillard hopes to expand in 2016-17 with the support of a proposed millage increase that is on the spring ballot.
Aguillard said he expects to see upcoming recommendations for new curriculum materials and more instructional days carved into the 2016-17 calendar.
“We’re using data on a regular basis to make instructional decisions,” he said. “I’m pleased with the overall ranking for Lafayette and encouraged that 80 percent of our schools are C or better. We’re looking at eight schools total that are D or F. I’m very excited about where we are and the focus we have and the expectations for improving instruction.”
School system officials also noted improved scores for Paul Breaux Middle, S.J. Montgomery, Prairie Elementary, Ridge Elementary, Evangeline Elementary and David Thibodaux STEM Magnet Academy for their improved scores.
Now, the school system has only one F-rated school — N.P. Moss Preparatory Academy, which is the school district’s site for students who are removed from their zoned schools because of discipline issues.
It was also the first year for the new charter schools operating in Lafayette Parish to receive scores.
Acadiana Renaissance Charter Academy was the top performer among the three new charter schools with a score of 94.4 and a B rating. Its sister school, Lafayette Renaissance Charter Academy received a D rating and a score of 65. The schools are operated by Charter Schools USA in partnership with the Lafayette Charter Foundation.
Willow Charter Academy, operated by National Heritage Academies in partnership with Louisiana Achievement Charter Academies, received an F letter grade and a score of 39. Its sister school, Advantage Charter Academy in Baker, which also opened in August 2014, received a D and a score of 54.8.
Grades by school
Lafayette Parish school and district letter grades and performance scores:
- LAFAYETTE PARISH SCHOOL SYSTEM: 89.2 B
- ACADIAN MIDDLE SCHOOL: 69.3 C
- ACADIANA HIGH SCHOOL: 71.3 C
- ALICE N. BOUCHER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 46.6 D
- BROADMOOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 101.4 A
- BROUSSARD MIDDLE SCHOOL: 89.2 B
- CARENCRO HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 58.6 D
- CARENCRO HIGH SCHOOL: 59.6 D
- CARENCRO MIDDLE SCHOOL: 72.2 C
- CHARLES M. BURKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 74.4 C
- DAVID THIBODAUX STEM MAGNET ACADEMY: 99.6 B
- DUSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 64.2 D
- EARLY COLLEGE ACADEMY: 121.7 A
- EDGAR MARTIN MIDDLE SCHOOL: 100.6 A
- ERNEST GALLET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 97.6 B
- EVANGELINE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 77.3 C
- GREEN T. LINDON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 102.1 A
- J. WALLACE JAMES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 83.7 C
- JUDICE MIDDLE SCHOOL: 73.4 C
- J.W. FAULK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 45.2 D
- KATHARINE DREXEL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 92.3 B
- L. LEO JUDICE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 107.4 A
- LAFAYETTE MIDDLE SCHOOL: 56.3 D
- LAFAYETTE HIGH SCHOOL: 100.4 A
- LIVE OAK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 66.2 C
- L.J. ALLEMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL: 112.2 A
- MILTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 98.9 B
- MYRTLE PLACE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 75.2 C
- NORTHSIDE HIGH SCHOOL: 51.1 D
- N.P. Moss Preparatory Academy 17.5 F
- O. COMEAUX HIGH SCHOOL: 83.8 C
- OSSUN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 66.9 C
- PAUL BREAUX MIDDLE SCHOOL: 100.9 A
- PLANTATION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 91.6 B
- PRAIRIE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 94.5 B
- RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 85.1 B
- SCOTT MIDDLE SCHOOL: 71.5 C
- S.J. MONTGOMERY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 80 C
- WESTSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 77.6 C
- WOODVALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 108.4 A
- YOUNGSVILLE MIDDLE SCHOOL: 101.2 A