When the temperature drops, I like to warm up with a big bowl of hot chili. Everyone has their favorite go-to recipe, but this winter I decided to reinvent that classic cold-weather staple with sweet potatoes.
My Sweet Potato Chili over Couscous is creatively delicious.
This wonderful vegetarian combination of naturally sweet yams, smoky tomatoes and sautéed onion, red bell pepper and garlic is so good, you won’t even miss the meat. Fire-roasted tomatoes add flavor, but, if you don't have any and want to save a trip to the store, use chili powder and diced tomatoes.
Chili freezes well, so make plenty. And, because it's a one-pot meal, you'll save time on the cleanup.
If you're planning on serving it to a Super (make that soup-er) Bowl crowd on Feb. 4, just leave the pot on low heat on your stove, place a few mugs nearby and let everyone serve themselves. You can look online at thehealthycookingblog.com for more of my healthy Super Bowl recipes and healthy chili recipes.
You'll also appreciate, as king cake season rolls along, that this recipe is trim and terrific, heart-healthy and rich in fiber so it will fill you up without filling you out, helping you keep that New Year’s resolution.
Trim and Terrific Tips:
- Couscous is the best-kept secret around since it cooks in minutes.
- Sweet potatoes contain virtually no fat or sodium and are packed with fiber, vitamin A, beta-carotene, iron and potassium.
- Chipotle chili powder has a smoky spicy flavor and can be found in spice section.
- Always rinse and drain your canned beans to reduce the sodium by up to 40 percent.
- Freezer-friendly: To freeze, cool and then pour into airtight containers, leaving room for expansion. Zip-close freezer bags are great for storage because stack easily in the freezer. Take out the night before using, thaw in the refrigerator and reheat.
Holly Clegg, best-selling national cookbook author of the trim&TERRIFIC & Eating Well cookbook series, specializes in easy, healthy, everyday recipes. Visit her website, The Healthy Cooking Blog. Follow her on facebook.com/HollyClegg, instagram.com/holly_clegg and twitter.com/hollyclegg. Email her at email@example.com.