This year, Capital Area United Way, in partnership with 2-1-1, Capital Area Asset Building Coalition, Capital One Bank and Entergy are providing free tax preparation services on Saturday and Feb. 4 to local taxpayers who may qualify for an up to $5,000 Earned Income Tax Credit.
Internal Revenue Service trained volunteers will provide this free service to help local taxpayers receive the benefits they deserve and inform them about financial programs and asset building information, according to a United way news release.
There will be 20 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites across six parishes providing these services.
“Each year the people of Louisiana leave more than $22 million on the table by not claiming their Earned Income Tax Credit,” said Karen J. Profita, president and CEO of Capital Area United Way. “Think of the economic impact that could come from bringing that money into the state. The goal of the Coalition and our partners is not only to bring the dollars to the state but also to help families understand how they can benefit when they earn it, keep it and save it.”
Anyone who earned $50,000 or less from wages and had children living with them, or those earning $19,000 or less with no children living with them in 2011 may qualify for the tax credit.
To help accurately determine their EITC eligibility and prepare their returns, residents should bring:
• Photo proof of identification.
• Social Security cards for themselves, their spouse and dependents or Social Security number verification letters issued by the Social Security Administration.
• Birth dates for all persons listed on the tax return.
• Wage and earning statement Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R, from all employers.
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099) .
• Copies of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
• Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit of their refunds.
• Other relevant information about income and expenses.
• Amounts paid for day care, if applicable and the day care provider’s identifying number.
Visit http://www.CAUW.org/taxprep, or call 2-1-1 or (877) 923-2114 for a listing of VITA sites and to schedule an appointment.
Saturday’s event starts at 10 a.m. at the Southern University Law Center.
The event on Feb. 4 starts at 9 a.m. at the Baton Rouge Community College Magnolia Library.