An electrical malfunction in a stove which started a fire at Kings Court Apartments on Dougherty Drive was put out by neighbors Thursday night, according to a press release from the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

At just before 10 p.m. Thursday night, neighbors at King Court Apartments noticed a fire in apartment No. 151 and broke through a window to get into the apartment, according to the fire department. The neighbors used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. The fire damaged the stove and cabinets in the kitchen and firefighters confirmed that there were no hidden fires in the cabinets and walls and shut the electrical breakers off to the stove.

One person cut his leg while trying to get into the apartment through the broken window but he was treated by EMS and released, according to the fire department.